Is document.cookie still cool?

Hello,

I’d like to know if document.cookie is still considered a good way to set cookies.

Cheers.

:slight_smile:

I am by no means an expert on cookie management in JavaScript. However, I did make a Google search for “document.cookie 2011” (without quotation marks), a search phrase which should give insight into if it’s still a legit way to handle cookies. For example, the discussion board Stack Overflow has many posts which should appear, in which professional developers tend to (almost always) give hints to bad practice of posted code. By searching for 2011 as well, you get recent posts.

Results lead me to links such as this one, which suggests it is indeed legit. If this was a bad practice, posters would generally say so.

Perhaps more interesting, I also found this recent blog post which is a good read. I have yet to read all of it, but it discusses security issues related to the subject. :slight_smile:

A while ago Quirksmode performed a good study of handling cookies across different web browsers, resulting in the some useful functions to manage them.
Cleaned up versions of those functions can be found at the cookie handling functions page.

So you would definitely say that it’s ok to manage cookies with javascript?

Yes indeed, given that you’re mindful of situations where someone not having scripting enabled might interfere with things.