Is Hootsuite Certification worth it?

I’m making the transition from designer to Social Media Guru. I know that Hootsuite is a must in the skill set of Social Media Marketing. Hootsuite offers a Certification. It looks like a smart move. And $21.00 not bad until I think about it. Once I cancel that subscription will I still have an exported Certification emblem to put on my resume? Or, is the only way I have to prove that I am Certified is to keep my Paid Subscription on their website? Has anyone here gotten a Hootsuite certification? Is it worth it?
Thanks

I can’t imagine what use it would be. But then again, $21 is a pittance if it would even be remotely able to get you a single contract job anywhere, so… I don’t know? My gut feeling is that it’s not worth it, and that your actual social media portfolio is a far better idea - and your knowledge/conversation about it (i.e. your own profiles and pages and their activity, those you’ve contributed to or supported, and your ability to converse with a potential employer/client effectively and accurately on the subject). But like I said, to be fair, if it even swayed one person, maybe it would be worth it… I just probably wouldn’t myself.

1 Like

I am with @jeffreylees on this one. If I were to hire someone for social media marketing, I would look at his or her past work instead of the certification from Hootsuite.

As a marketing consultant who is helping SMEs with their online marketing, I noticed business owners recognizes platform owners like Google, Facebook and Twitter more than the tools.

For example, they tend to ask whether you are a Google Partner if you proposing to run Google ads for them, even though every other agency is a Google Partner these days. They don’t care about the ad management tools you use.

1 Like

I’m not really into it but I totally agree with @WayneLiew, a certification from Hootsuite is not an assurance that someone is capable of doing a great job in social media marketing.

2 Likes

Great replies. I appreciate all of your feedback.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.