Is HTML5 the best platform for game development?

I want to know about the HTML5 is the best platform for game development.

It’s certainly a viable option, although it’s mostly a JavaScript issue than an HTML issue. There was a live 'Expert’s" session on this last week. Here’s the transcript, which includes a list of resources

I think flash is still the leader for games but there are a lot of intelligent people out there that have worked out game loops to improved HTML5 game performance so its really up to what you feel more comfortable developing in.

It depends on what you are doing (i.e. the game itself), the target platforms etc. There is no one size fits all answer; HTML5 is not the best solution for games; it is one of the solutions for games.

For example; if hypothetically speaking; Sega approached you and asked you to create a browser based or mobile version of the latest Sonic Racing game for them; only a fool would consider HTML5. You would choose something like Unity or maybe Flash.

For strictly browser based games you have HTML5, Flash and even Unity (via a web browser plugin). Though the later two do not cater for mobile devices. You can create many simple arcade style games (the types of casual arcade games you see on iTunes) with HTML5; but the more you ramp up the graphics and mechanics of the game the more alternative solutions become more desirable; particularly with 3D games.

There are also instances where HTML5 isn’t a viable (or the best) solution because of a particular element of the game being poorly supported by HTML5; such as graphics features, performance, AI/Physics or certain types of multiplayer content.

You also have the issue of whether you are happy for your game code to be open. This may or may not be an issue; if it is an issue then a closed standard such as Flash or Unity becomes more desirable. With more advanced games or ones where some element of security needs to be hidden, your code being closed becomes very important.

You also have to consider turnaround time and other business needs; what will be the most effective route to deployment within a certain timescale and budget; that could influence what the best platform is.

If you are looking at smartphones and tablets as a platform; as native apps, if you are approaching a serious gaming project, nothing (and I mean nothing) trumps Unity; especially when you start to look towards AAA mobile gaming.

The long and short of it is, understanding the technologies; their capabilities, pros & cons; and how your game is affected by them is what will lead you down the correct path for that particular game.

No. It’s not even remotely close to being the best platform for game development.

C+ or C++ is a very good program for game development. Not necessarily the best. Speed is very important in game development and is picture quality.
Not many software programs qualify for both requirements. Most programs are developed in stages (such as the scenery, the items such as vehicles
and planes), then the action figures and the action. Each requires separate attention. When I did it, I used stick figures or simple items to develop the
game. Then made corrections (such as you can not go off the board, or playing area). Then added details to the figures (made corrections, such as you
can’t move your arms thru each other). Made action (such as jumping and shooting), etc. A good game takes a lot of time, checking and correction.
Then other people play it and try to cheat (more corrections). Hopefully you finally get it to operate correctly.
Speed is very important (nobody wants a slow game, unless it is chess).

falcon