Is it ever okay to message or email someone who likes your Facebook Page?

Of course, but this is a discussion, so you have to expect a range of views.

please stop quoting my replies

That’s a normal thing to do in forums, and has its place, so you have to accept it. :slight_smile:

alas, I fear this has the potential of people learning and business expecting a FB ‘like’ = permission marketing. Already many people on FB curtail their likes becuase it can clutter their feeds… imagine how they would feel if they started to expect that if they ‘liked’ a business, taht they would be a targeted customer and they would end up receiving more ‘ad mail’ than personal mail.

As hard as it is to have faith on this, and harder still to directly measure, the TRUE (sustainable) value of a ‘like’ is similar to ‘broadcasted word of mouth’. That is, some one you most likely trust ( a FB friend) endorses ( posted in your feed when they ‘like’ something…or even seen later if you visit his/her about page) your brand.

All views are respected here and at least for me a view that differs from my own is how I learn. Being exposed to only your own thoughts would be no fun.

That said I think dresden_phoenix summed this up this entire concept really nicely…

When businesses first started using social it most of what you saw was conversational, participatory, engaging but as it’s grown everyone has to be in the space now and as is always the case, people revert to what they know best. Now every day a thread pops up asking how to turn a tweet into search rankings, a facebook post into site traffic and we’ve really pouted the opportunity seeing how much mud can we throw at the wall. Just because the site is social doesn’t mean the activity on it is.

My choice is no email. Usually we hate spam messages a lot. Even if you are not trying to spam others, bu tif the message is not welcome to them, it becomes spam.

My problem has been resolved and the replies in this thread have grown repetitive.

THREAD CLOSED