Is it important to validate the CSS or just the markup?

Like the title states is it important? Kinda hassle to also fix the css

Well, the point of validation is to check for anything that might cause rendering problems. So it’s always worth it … though, if you test your pages in a good range of browsers and find no issues, then validation may be largely pointless.

I also made some research that passing the validation can help your web be visible in using search engines. By the way i’m having so trouble trying to fix my codes in CSS. This are the errors.

Error 1 attempt to find a semi-colon before the property name. add it

Error 2#flash Property progid doesn’t exist : DXImageTransform

Error 3#flash Parse Error DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr=‘#ffffff’, endColorstr=‘#ffffff’,GradientType=0 );

Error 4#flash Parse Error /* IE6-9 */}

I’m using CSS-gradient generator and at the moment not familiar in coding gradient manually in my web pages yet.

Search engines may not like your site if it is really poorly coded (hard to understand, complicated, slow loading …), but they don’t care a whiff if your code validates or not. That’s not their issue.

ofcourse it is important to validate the css. The reason behind this is clearly because, if there are errors in the code, the css will not run correctly

Clestcruz,

I would tend to agree with ralph. As long as things are rendering fine and you don’t have any major issues, validation is not that important. I would put it on the list of things to do to your website after you have retired.

Here is a good post on the subject,

Best,

Shawn

The W3C validator doesn’t always recognize vendor prefixes or IE filters–both of which are perfectly valid.

You can use a CSS validator to check for syntax and spelling issues, but be aware that not everything it marks as an error is actually an error.