Is OpenCart code & ecosystem good enough for large scale?

I’ve been developing non-ecommerce sites for years and I’ve learned is that CMS code/architecture quality, and the size of the community/ecosystem around the CMS are two essentials. For example, there are some smaller CMS’s with great codebases that do very well in their specific niches. And WordPress is a perfect example of a very imperfect codebase and design, but it is supported by such a massive ecosystem of users, theme developers, plugin developers, installers and optimizers. It’s hard not to find support for whatever you need.

I’ve worked on a couple of smaller ecommerce sites with Magento, OpenCart and some of the hosted solutions. Magento seemed overkill for the smaller site, but with a good ecosystem, and OpenCart was very light weight and it looked difficult to find off-the-shelf components for it.

There is an existing OpenCart install for this new site I’m working on - it has been configured and is working to some degree. I will not be the only developer working on this new site, but to get it off the ground it is 90% on me.

1. Which self-hosted LAMP stack ecommerce CMS should I choose for a new medium to large scale ecommerce site, and why?

2. Is OpenCart a strong enough foundation, both in terms of code quality and architecture, or should I go for Magento?

3. Or should I move away from what’s familiar to me, and what’s done already, to go to something else that is well architectured and coded and has a great following and ecosystem?

Your comments & suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We had used opencart for our client and its working preety good. How much traffic you are looking for your site? what is your niche?

Traffic numbers are low right now, but the business wants to push it. Niche is health/fitness related.