Is reseller hosting kinda like being a webhost yourself?

I never did that before, but the idea intrigues me. One thing I wonder is that, how many clients can a typical reseller hosting package that costs around $39 handle? And are features like CPanel and PHPMyadmin available to myself only, or to my clients as well?

Probably depends on the package you take up, but with mine, I can host unlimited sites (it’s based on server space / bandwidth usage) and both I and the clients have CPanel access (if I give it to them!).

In reality, the hosting is all taken care of by the overarching web host. So there’s not the same kind of responsibility as you’d have if you were hosting—say—from your home computer.

1 Like

I see. Thats very interesting, can you link to me on the webhost in which you have a reseller account at? Id like to compare it with the solution Webhostingbuzz is offering, the one that currently hosts my dedicated server.

What I currently have is a VPS—which maybe isn’t technically the same thing, but practically the same, in my experience—but it’s hosted in Australia, which may not suit you. I used to use US hosting that was exactly the same, and very good, I found.

I see, it will be nice to know what the US hosting is too. And if my guess is correct, you sorta converted your VPS to handle resellers? Its a bit confusing.

I may have misled you, as “reseller hosting” sometimes means having a website through which you sell web hosting to people. If that’s what you meant, I apologize, as that’s not quite what I have. I just have the ability to host many client sites, and they each have their own CPanel account etc. But when I was tossing up reseller hosting vs a VPS, they seemed much the same thing to me, but a VPS seemed to me the better way to go, as it offered more configuration options etc.

I was using KnownHost in the US. I found them to be great. I only moved to a local host for latency reasons, but it’s more expensive here.

Doing reseller hosting means you are running ur own web hosting business, you buy bulk packages, and set up ur own packages and prices at which u want to sell hosting to ur customers further. You can give such features to ur customers like cpanel, php myadmin, depends upon u

1 Like

Both @ralphm and @bagful_india have nailed it. A reseller account is primarily to establish yourself as a “middle man” for the hosting company. You buy X amount of bandwidth and storage space, and you resell it to your clients (for your price).

You can setup different packages, X amount of space at X bandwidth = $$, etc.
You can limit their cpanel access if you want to be the sole manager, or you can have packages that grant them that access.

Same with phpMyAdmin, the number of email accounts allowed, number of domains allowed, etc. (I think you get the idea).

VPS is sort of a different beast. I don’t typically see VPS and reseller connected, as typically with a VPS you are buying CPU time and Memory allocation and less focus on Storage and Bandwidth. So I guess you could setup that type of scenario on a VPS… I just haven’t really seen anyone do that (then again, I’ve been out of the hosting business for years now).

1 Like

Indeed, you described exactly what I do.

I see, thanks for all your replies, its been very helpful! One thing I am a bit confused is that, if resellers are meant for you to be an intermediary webhost, then why is it usually cheaper and uses powerful CPU resources as compared to VPS and Dedicated server? A reseller hosting account is supposed to handle tens of clients with hundreds of websites, but a dedicated server is for my own project specifically. In this case, I thought reseller should instead be more expensive and powerful. If we model reseller as some kind of public transportation service like a bus or a van, a VPS/Dedicated server will be more like a personal owned car. In this case, it is strange if your car is bigger and consuming more fuels than a bus. Now it is a bit confusing, can anyone explain?

In short, because the host wants to make the majority of the money. Their profit margins are much higher if they sell directly than you selling it for them. They already have you paying them X for Y, and so any reselling you do, is your profit.

If they sell directly,they get all of it.

I see, thanks for your answer. And I wonder though, can I run custom version of PHP or even compile PHP myself on a reseller account? or maybe this can only be done on a dedicated server?

Both the VPS I use and the reseller account I considered getting came not only with CPanel (for each individual account you set up) but also WHM, which is a master control center for all your CPanel instances. You can configure whatever version of PHP you like via WHM. The only rider, as far as I know, is that this version applies to all the accounts on your account. (I could be wrong about that, but I’m pretty sure that’s the case for me, anyhow. When I update PHP, MySQL etc., I have to make sure it won’t cause trouble for any of the sites I host.)

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.