Is she spinning clockwise or anti-clockwise?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/right-brain-v-left-brain/story-e6frf7jo-1111114603615

anti-clockwise.

no matter what I do I can’t see her spinning clockwise :weyes:

A month ago I couldn’t see her spinning clockwise also, but today it seems I can’t perceive it as spinning anti-clockwise.

it is anticlockwise dude, i did not find any difficulty in assuming.

Actually, there is no right or wrong. It spins in terms of how you perceive it, depending which areas of your brain are activated :slight_smile:

Does anyone knows the creator of this experiment? I’m trying to find to what extent it is relevant.

Clockwise all the time.

the article says that if we focus hard we can see her spin in the opposite direction to what we see naturally.

Short of standing on my head, there is no way I can see her spinning clockwise.

Can anybody see her spinning in both directions and what do you have to do to see her spin in the opposite direction to what you see naturally.

I should have post a third option for the poll which is “both”. Is there a way to edit an already created poll?

By the way, please vote!

I did manage to see it spin anti-clockwise. I thought of bank statements, money… But then it started clockwise again.

[EDIT]
Actually, it’s pretty weird. I manage to see a change in its spin:

• when I’m observing details of the picture spinning and focus directly on it: clockwise
  • when I’m fading my focus towards it and think of something else, looking “beyound” it: anti-clockwise
  • when I focus my attention on it again: clockwise

But whenever I’m back on page and first lay my eyes on it: clockwise, always.
When I start doing math in my head (additions, deductions and such): it changes to anti-clockwise. But… I need to look away from it doing math, and, while still doing math (and concentrating on the math), look at it again. It won’t change while I’m looking directly at it.
If I stop the math, look away, and then look at it again: clockwise.

Pretty funny! :slight_smile:

I’ve added the option “both” for you, and have voted for that option :slight_smile:

I’m not sure both is fair. I can “see” both, but clockwise is what I first see everytime.

You should vote what you see “naturally”, by default, when you stare at it, not what you can manage to see if you “trick” it.

You should vote what you see “naturally”, by default, when you stare at it, not what you can manage to see if you “trick” it.

Exactly, good point!

aaaagh…I finally worked out how to trick it, well for me at least.

Naturally, she is spiniing anti-clockwise but the key I think is the leg that is sticking out as she spins.

When the leg is closest to you, as she is spinning, the leg is moving right to left on the screen which is anti-clockwise but when the leg is farthest from you, the leg is moving left to right on the screen which is clockwise.

So it appears that whether you see her spinning anticlockwise or clockwise depends on whether you naturally focus on the leg when it is further away or closer to you.

If I focus on the leg when it is moving left to right on the screen I can see her spinning clockwise.

It’s both :slight_smile:

Natural direction is clockwise but very easy to go in whichever direction I choose!

Both directions.

Did a few more tests :slight_smile:

It’s like this:

• when I’m concentrating, working, stressing: anti-clockwise
  • when I’m relaxing, resting, contemplating: clockwise

A good mood pointer, this one! So it’s not about the person, but about which state of mind the person looking at it is in.

yep me too :slight_smile:

for me it now just boils down to whether I concentrate on the leg that sticks out when it is moving from left to right on the screen or from right to left as described earlier.

right to left = anticlockwise

left to right = clockwise.

so it’s easy now to see her spinning in both directions, but not at the same time :wink: That would be :weyes:

I love optical illusions.

I could only see counter-clockwise for the longest time.

Then I tried the “sticking out leg left to right” trick and it started to go both i.e. “to the front only”.

Finally I could see it going clockwise.

What seems somewhat odd is that once its going a certain way it kind of “sticks” and stays that way. Kind of a perception interpretation enertia or whatever.

I dunno. I see both directions alternately with no trouble at all.

I noticed that when she spins counterclockwise, her right leg is pinned to the floor.
When she spins clockwise, her left leg is pinned to the floor.

I’m not entirely convinced there is any actual illusion involved at all TBH.