Is the Browser Dying? Long Live the Browser!

I just read an article on Medium today that suggested browsers are becoming a thing of the past. To be honest, that suggestion makes me really mad.

Firstly, the fact that there’s not browser on an iWatch makes sense to me, as browsing on a watch would surely suck anyway, wouldn’t it? So that doesn’t suggest to me that web browsing is dying.

But the article also suggests that apps are taking over from web browsing, and that really concerns me. It seems to go against everything the web was meant to be, IMHO. If the web were to be funneled into a collection of proprietary, OS-based apps, I think we would lose something very precious.

I sure hope the article is wrong. What do you think?

I recently downloaded the Slack app.

So far it seems to be “a desktop browser for only one site”

Unless I learn that there is more to it I’m not interested in it.

Yeah, it has no advantages over using the browser, IMHO.

It is. It’s a packaged chrome app. Uses 400+ MB of RAM. For a chat application, go figure. :expressionless:
I really don’t understand who in their right mind would think it a good idea to package and ship an app like that. At least when you’re using slack in a browser you can use the browser for other things as well, but with the slack app all that browser memory is dedicated to slack. I just don’t see the point.
If you want it in a separate window you can just create an app shortcut (in chrome anyway, settings > more tools > create application shortcuts…)

2 Likes

A local television station has this
http://wwlp.com/22news-storm-team-weather-app/

IMHO this is what an app is.
Although the same information can be found on the website, the app is a direct link to the local weather conditions in “real time”.

Users get the information they’re looking for without needing to click around to get at it.
The information is presented without the usual “distractions” of a website.

1 Like

Haha, I just stick my head out the window to get realtime weather updates. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You can be logged into more than one slack group. That’s the advantage

The same applies to Slack in the browser, though.

They say that you can’t be logged more than one slack chart room on the browser… I think I’ve read that in their documentation. But I’m not very reliable

I have three different Slack accounts open in browser tabs right now. :slight_smile:

I didn’t say that you weren’t right… I’m telling you what they say in their documentation :wink:

You can try to use the app… maybe the difference is simply that you don’t have to open three tabs to use the three accounts at the same time

Slack gets confusing enough with multiple channels. I can’t imagine trying to keep up with multiple channels under different accounts. :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

3 Likes

I love the browser but I’m normally on a PC. I know for a fact that mobile browsing is big in places like China, far more popular than desktop browsing is over here. If your target audience is on a phone then there are advantages to using an app over a normal browser.

An app will run natively on a phone allowing for better performance. I know WebGL hardware acceleration is blacklisted on a lot of mobile GPU’s which hurts when it comes to playing HD video or more advanced animations.

Another advantage is the fact you can control the environment your application is going to run in. You don’t have to worry about CSS hacks/plugins missing or even something as simple as client side javascript being disabled.

There may be times when a browser can’t do the job properly, but people seem to rush into apps far too quickly. I’ve seen a lot of apps that offer nothing over the normal browser experience, and where I have a choice to use a browser instead of an app, I usually prefer the browser. If you take the argument for apps to its extreme—where there’s a separate app for every site on the web—you can see how ridiculous the situation becomes.

3 Likes

Totally agree with this. The reason for heading towards apps is entirely self interest. Apps can quietly gather a lot more information about the user than a website can. What we really need is a push towards app privacy. The facebook app for android requires permissions for pretty much everything on the phone. If it was an option I’m sure it would ask for root access.

As an aside, it’d be nice if there was a sandbox mode on phones which allowed you to install the app in its own sandbox that couldn’t access anything on the phone other than in its own sandbox. Then the facebook app can ask for all the permissions it wants, it cant actually access anything unless I specifically give it access to it.

4 Likes

Cyanogenmod had that at some point. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/06/how-cyanogenmods-founder-is-giving-android-users-their-privacy-back/

I’m on cyanogenmod on my Xperia T (running lollipop), but for some reason it’s not in there anymore. Not sure what happened there.

Ooh nice. I have CyanogenMod on my OnePlus One. Can’t seem to find that feature though

But then how are the hacks at that shitty click-hole going to do their headline-whoring?

• Oh please download my “Why electricity is soon a thing of the past, read all about it!!!”-app!
    anyone…?

Only if you’ve already got it. The thing about a website is that I can go to any website whenever I want … whereas you have to find, download and install an app first. So unless it’s a site/app that you’re going to be using a lot, it’s slower, more cumbersome and takes more data to use the app than just to visit the website in a browser.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.