Is the future bright for ajax

Hi
wanted to know what people think of ajax… as a star shining in the future or a star waning
Thanks
Meera

[FONT=Verdana]It has its uses, but (like every other “new” technology we’ve had on the web) the vast majority of what it is being used for now is abuse and totally inappropriate.

Google Maps is a great example of a website that makes fantastic use of Ajax to deliver a rich user experience that you just couldn’t achieve without it. On the other hand, far too many people are using Ajax for tasks that can and should be achieved with good ol’ plain and simple HTML, and there’s no reason or excuse for doing that.

Unnecessary use of Ajax (or any form of Javascript) is likely to destroy people’s ability to successfully interact with your website, kill the accessibility and usability of your site for anyone using assistive technology or handheld devices, and reduce the chances of it appearing high up in the search engine results pages.

Ajax. Just say no.[/FONT]

When I build a site, I typically get features working without AJAX, then if it would be a feature that would benefit from AJAX, include a few lines of JavaScript and a few lines of PHP to handle the requests and done.

there are many cool features built around ajax. telerik, componentart,… are some to mention.
as long as they keep innovating i guess there would be demand.

I’m excited to see what websockets will play in the future, and how we might use less ajax. Maybe that shining star of the future is not ajax.