Is the limit to the data you can pass through a GET request the same as the query?

Hello,

I’d like to send some large data through a GET request. I must do this upon accessing a page. So it’s a GET, not a POST. I thought about using a querystring, but what I have to pass may in some cases excess the size limit of a querystring.

I was wondering if, using Curl, I could issue a GET request and send that data, or if the size limit would be the same as for a querystring anyway.

Regards,

-jj.:slight_smile:

As far as I know it’s the same.
But why do you need to use the query string? Is the receiving page expecting the data in the query string?

This usually depends on your web server. Apache server has a limit of query string. It can be adjusted if necessary

GET is for reads, POST is for writes. If you’re CURL’ing to another service you need to use the method their API tells you to - if they wrote it correctly choosing your own method won’t work. Also, GET is limited to around 32K on most server setups, while POST can get way up there. Even on servers where that is changed, GET is rarely upped to the point of POST.

Also bear in mind that proxy servers may, at their discretion, cache GET requests. That could be troublesome.