Is there a way to access a child target in a parent/ancestor event handler?

I am trying to figure out if its possible to access a child target element from a parent event handler once the opportunity to handle the event has passed on the child element. For instance, if I had the following markup:

<div id="content">
    <a id="link1" href="#">Link to table of contents</a>
    <a id="link2" href="#">Link to chapters</a>
    <a id="link3" href="#">Link to appendix</a>
</div>

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.7.2.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
    $content = $('#content');
    $content.click(
        function(e) {
            // how can I find the innermost target which triggered the click event?
        }
    );
</script>

I want to be able to access the <a> element that triggered the original click event. But instead of passing a separate function to each jQuery .click() method for “each” <a> I simply want to allow all 3 <a> event handlers to bubble up to the parent <div id=“content”> and find out which <a> was clicked from the parent event handler and handle any of the 3 <a> click events from the 1 parent event handler. How would I do this…do I use the Event parameter to find this reference?

Thanks for reading

39 views and no help? I guess I’ll have to answer my own question. I think I have the correct answer:

answer: e.target

Not sure how I missed this in the beginning. I guess I couldn’t see the forest because of the trees in the way.

$content.click(
        function(e) {
            var tgt = e.target;
            console.log(tgt.id);
            e.preventDefault();
        }
    );