Is Twitter more effective than Digg?

Digg wont work unless you have a very good article/news. If by chance your article makes it in the frontpage then you’ll get thousands of clicks.

Better bet on twitter.

I have tried both,but i dont think that they are effective for traffic or something else…

Twitter is just for getting quick visitors on your website but digg is important for getting a new post indexed in SE within less time.

both of them are effective, depending on how are you going to use them… but somehow, twitter is much well known rather digg… that is why most people use it…

Hmmm…sounds like I have to try Twitter again…but I really can’t wrap my head around it :frowning:

Anyone have any opinion about the type of traffic they get ? Isn’t it more “random” people than Digg (more like Stumbleupon, maybe) ?

Digg has never been that effective for us, we have hundreds of friends on Digg, but none of our articles ever get Dugg. With Twitter we get thousands of hits in minutes.

My advice is to combine both to increase your traffic, because they have different roles; twitter let the people know that you exist, while digg brings you upper in Google and the SE.

I use both so you can acquire both of the market. Some people are using Twitter but not using Digg and viceversa.

depends on how you’ll use em…it can be both effective

Yeah this thread could be retitled “which social media network should we all go destroy next?” or something.

Buuuut

Right now my posts are automatically updated and sent out (post header and link to my site). But with this auto update they don’t have hash# tags and I wonder if that means no one can find them (or they’re less searchable on Twitter). Would it be more effective to turn off the feed and manually send out the posts with hash tags?

Whatever the topic of your site, tweet to others who are talking about that subject, reply to things they say, and if they find you are in the same boat as them and talk about the same interesting things, they will follow you, and possibly their followers will as well. The hash tag thing… most of the people I know who use hash tags so far are making up stuff that doesn’t even exist because it’s cute.

I tried to search for stuff by hash tag and it was only other people using the terms completely different from what I was looking for.

I think it depends on what you mean by more effective. Twitter has got in more traffic to my sites than Digg but links on Twitter are “nofollow” as opposed to links from Digg. Use both, and other, methods as they all have their place.

Digg has been losing its attractiveness to webmasters since it changed its URL format. Before you can get a dofollow link from Digg but Digg became selfish when its popularity skyrocketed.

Twitter, on the other hand, has more followers than Digg.

I would argue that it was not selfishness but more likely that Digg got tired of being SPAMmed by SEO-kiddies making link drops.

Yes. I do agreed that with combination, it will do you more good as you can increase double the amount of traffic. But with that said, you must do it the right way in order to be effective.

I use twitter nearly every day and it has evolved into a great promotional website the only time i use Digg is when i have just setup a new website and by adding your site to Digg google can usually pick your site up within hours.

Very well said and I agree. Post is useless if it is not visible.

Comparing the two I can say that Twitter is more effective than Digg but still Facebook is better than them.

Twitter is by far more effective than Digg, the reason for this is simple. Digg has had an unfortunate span of people “buying” the top spot for many years. :slight_smile:

i think twitter more effective than Digg.twitter get more traffic and well known around

It’s pretty simple, you offer useful insightful content and links, you gain followers, you thereby get to give people notifications of new stuff relating to you, regular visitors will appear from those who follow you. It’s a lot like an HTML email subscription or RSS feed where the content is syndicated to the visitor :slight_smile: