Is "website" one word or two?

… and no matter how much I cringe :rolleyes:

Hey. Cromulent words embiggen us all.

(Angered grunt)

No time now, I’ve got to write a delicious memo. Mmm… memo.

That’s because language isn’t an engineering spec; it’s a living creature, growing and evolving according to the pressures of its environment. As such, the only final judge of the whole “website” vs. “web site” thing is the reader trying to seek clarity in the terms. When the majority accept that either is proper, then either is proper. And that’s how it should be.

Otherwise, how would we ever have managed to introduce the word “metrosexual” into the English language? Or to get it back out again? :slight_smile:

If I were banging out copy for a website :badpc: and I wanted to attract as many visitors as I could from the search engines I would use both forms at least once as long as the web page was mostly related to web sites. In that case I would also include both “website” and “web site” in my meta-tags.

My print ad won’t have any meta-tags. I doubt it would help me get better placement in the magazine. :wink:

That is called lack of consistency in writting, even though it gives you “points” on search engines! :smiley:

Choose one and stick with it, else you’ll look terrible.