Isomorphic JavaScript Applications — the Future of the Web?

For those here who are complaining about the SEO implication of using Meteor there is a package dedicated to eliminating that disadvantage called spiderable. As for “Isomorphic” applications having spent the last few days reading about Meteor I’m both intrigued and concerned. I’m intrigued by the radical change in philosophy that directly correlates to increase of performance. Though I’m concerned that change is so radical that it will lack adoption simply for the fact that it seems before it’s time and premature for building large scale, enterprise level architecture in comparison to tried and true stacks. Many of which offer a more feature rich ecosystem of libraries and tools to achieve specific business goals. Once well known content management systems begin moving to this technology I will be sold but until than I still think that this is to radical to embrace for the masses. Could this type of infrastructure become as popular as LAMP, Rails, etc. perhaps but I wouldn’t think anytime soon. Definitely clever and something to watch possibly use for the right project but I would tread carefully given the incompleteness and lack historical success. If this technology is truly evolutionary perhaps it could eliminate or significantly reduce the necessity of caching layers required for many current high traffic, web based software applications. Eliminating the need for caching layers would be impressive and certainly revolutionary for out of the box code. I do find it interesting though that the concept of an isomorphic application using a framework like Meteor breaks the fundamental ideology of separation of concerns and language agnostic service based applications. The code I see looks a lot like the old days of mixing presentation with behavior using embedded and inline behavior. Yet this seems to be the new hotness.