It's = it is. Otherwise, no apostrophe!

If mobally was a mistake, how did I manage to find its definition when I googled it so see if I was right?

Because there’s nothing new under the sun. :smile:

I acknowledge your point and in future will pay more attention to proof reading. If the errors are too difficult to correct then I will wait until a desktop is available before posting.

I don’t know, I couldn’t find it. Maybe I didn’t try hard enough.

So you are saying it’s incromulent… Is that a word?

Yes we understand :smile: It is common in informal communication for strict grammar to be ignored rather that writing proper like what I does.

1 Like

Neologisms are one of my rather eccentric habits. I put them in “quote-eds” to indicate they are not real words

It’s healthy to be creating new words and playing with language. Without Shakespeare’s playfulness with words, English would be far less rich (or “richlesser” :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

No idea, I couldn’t, lol.

Fair enough. I think that the appropriate amount of effort definitely depends on the circumstances. Surely every user in the world isn’t expected to have a perfect grasp on all facets of the language that they are typing in, 100% of the time? If it comes down to that, there are debated areas too, I believe. I think that making the effort is the key part there, as you say - not being 100% perfect.

[quote=“jeffreylees, post:23, topic:201651”]
Fair enough. I think that the appropriate amount of effort definitely depends on the circumstances. Surely every user in the world isn’t expected to have a perfect grasp on all facets of the language that they are typing in, 100% of the time? If it comes down to that, there are debated areas too, I believe. I think that making the effort is the key part there, as you say - not being 100% perfect.[/quote]
I expect you to put in effort to get it right, but I’m not going to get all aggy if you don’t get it 100% (unless it’s the kind of context where you really should have done, like a formal publication). Yes, it’s about context, and I recognise that not everyone is going to find spelling, punctuation and grammar as easy as I do. If you’ve made a passable attempt at spelling words properly, using punctuation and capital letters, and so on, then that’s probably good enough. I don’t see that using a mobile device is any more of excuse for bad SP&G than using a PC – you can use capital letters and punctuation perfectly easily, you can correct spelling perfectly easily.

There’s a world of difference between someone who is making a reasonable effort but makes a few minor mistakes along the way, and someone who writes i need ur help bcos im havin truble getin my code workin pls let me no wot i shd do and clearly has made no attempt to follow any of the rules of English.

3 Likes

I agree with that wholeheartedly.

Speaking about spelling, here are my two cents: many, many times I’ve come accross a very strange form of “could have”, written as “could of”.
English is my second language and I am totally in shock while reading stuff like that coming from the native speakers.

1 Like

I would think this kind of thing would be far more common among native English speakers. Those learning English as a second language will most likely be taught “proper English” and feel greater need to be correct in what they say and write.
A native speaker however will pick up a lot of language through spoken word, listening to conversation. In the UK where there is a wide range of accents, dialects and colloquialisms, there is little wonder that such nonsense gets picked up by people who are in complete ignorance of it being wrong. I think there is some separation between what is acceptable in the spoken and written word. I someone were to say in conversation “could have” but pronounced as “could of” I would think nothing of it. But to write it that way, that’s just wrong.

1 Like

I think probably people hear the contraction " could’ve " and think it is “could of”. A lot of these types of problems happen with people who don’t read enough, so they are never exposed to the written version of expression, and only go on how they hear them.

4 Likes

Yep, spot on. That’s where it comes from.

Because English is spoken so widely, native English speakers are generally lazy about learning languages, and thus are generally pretty ignorant of what’s coming out of their mouth, which is quite sad. Learning language formally makes you much more aware of language and how it works.

Those who are “native speakers” are more likely to be taught in government schools, where proper spelling, grammar and punctuation are an afterthought to things like political correctness (the other PC), race studies, transgender awareness, and frankly every useless topic under the sun.

But one who programs, for fun or profit, should be accustomed to every comma, colon, [, { and ( being critical, not to mention proper capitalization of variables and such.

For sloppiness to creep into everyday communication never fails to surprise me.

Without wanting for this to get too political, I’m not sure that being taught about tolerance and awareness of others and how to get along with your fellow man is any less important than knowing the order of kings or the tallest mountains in the world or how to solve quadratic formulae or whatever other arcane nonsense is often promoted as being “essential” for schools to teach. And I say that as an unashamed educational elitist and utter grammar snob … but from what I have seen the people who rant and rail against political correctness in schools have absolutely no personal experience of (a) what is taught in schools (hint, it is absolutely nothing like what you seem to think it is), or (b) being on the wrong end of political incorrectness.

Yay for political correctness, then! Let’s all dress up as Muslims for a day, have a single restroom and shower for both boys and girls (oops, girls and boys, forgive me), instead of “arcane” knowledge that might land you a job or a promotion someday.

And that ends my contribution to this discussion, there’s football to watch :smiley:!

When I was in school, political correctness was not even a thing. We didn’t have race studies, but there were a lot of racist people, even then (and even now, I suppose). Transgender awareness or any sort of LGBT issues were not up for discussion in a classroom at that point in history, and sex ed was barely even a thing.

There were still a staggering number of people who could not read, write, or communicate effectively.

I think that your position on “PC issues” is just an entirely separate debate that doesn’t belong here, as it has nothing to do with a conversation about grammar.

Punctuation can be so annoying sometimes, I waste so much of my life for the correct spot to put an apostrophe, gawd.

What are some examples of where you get stuck?

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.