Java or .net?

Why we choose .Net over Java???

Java, regardless of its name, does not make you coffee. .NET doesn’t make such pretenses. .NET wins.

I’m a .NET person myself. I find C# to be a nicer language than Java (it’s essentially like Java but nicer). Lambda expressions and LINQ are really handy. Being able to compare strings with == is nice, too (a lot of little things make a big difference!) :stuck_out_tongue:

ASP.NET MVC 3 is a really well-designed framework, and the new “Razor” templating language is very concise and easy to use. It’s definitely worth learning if you haven’t already (and are interested in .NET development). Having said that, the Play Framework for Java is pretty good too.

The only downside of .NET is that it’s not fully cross-platform. Having said that, Mono has made some very big improvements over the past 1-2 years. ASP.NET MVC 3 works out of the box on Mono, including the Razor templating language.

Yes, I agree Linq alone is a mighty fine way of life.

Java?? What is this 1997?

LOL. Now, now. Java is used for Android apps. :smiley:

.NET has probably surpassed java over the last few years – they are doing some amazing things in the CLR these days. It can do lots of things the current versions of the JVM can’t at this time. That said, it seems like Oracle is putting lots of muscle into updating java, the things coming out for 1.8 look pretty exciting and will largely catch that platform up to .NET 4.0.

Also, the huge advantage with java isn’t the platform but rather the ecosystem. There are lots of things you just can’t get on .NET. Like a decent open source NLP library . . .

@imaginekitty – they use java syntax but it isn’t compiling to java bytecode but rather davlik. They weren’t that far from using C# as the language spec from what I understand.

Java may even be preferred on non-windows hosts, unless they have something like mono, or another interpreter installed (none of which are 100%). Sometimes it isn’t about one language being “better” than another, but what the best fit is for the rest of the system.

=)

Ah, I see. Either way, it’s worth learning if that’s your direction. Is Microsoft going to allow Visual Studio to compile for Android or iPhone? That’ll put a damper on Java.

Truth.

Java may even be preferred on non-windows hosts, unless they have something like mono, or another interpreter installed (none of which are 100%). Sometimes it isn’t about one language being “better” than another, but what the best fit is for the rest of the system.

That’s very true, Java will work just as well on Linux or Mac as it does on Windows.
Mono’s pretty good now though (especially with version 2.10) and has implemented most of .NET 3.5 and ASP.NET 4.0, and some bits of .NET 4.0. I wouldn’t be too scared running an ASP.NET MVC app on Mono in production, as long as you don’t use anything not available in Mono (eg. Entity Framework). Mozilla’s Developer Network is running MindTouch Core (formerly DekiWiki) on top of Mono. If Mozilla uses it, it’s probably safe to say it’s production-ready :). I’m not sure if they still use it, but [url=http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2005/May-30.html]Wikipedia used to use Mono and dotLucene to power the search.

Java, regardless of its name, does not make you coffee.

I guess you don’t like CoffeeScript or the [url=http://visionmedia.github.com/mocha/]Mocha library, then :lol:

Moar liez!!! :mad:

Well. I am a Java(Android) developer as well as a .NET developer. What I can tell you is the .NET and Visual Studio is by far more superior to JAVA. And that if google did support Android dev from VS witn C#, I would definitely switch. Having said all that. Java is not terrible. The syntax is similar to C#. My biggest problem is with eclipse. It is very unstable. But I must say, over the past few months, it has gotten a lot better, but still not 100%

When you choose .NET you choose Microsoft operating systems with it. But JAVA apps will work out with any operating system or even hardware like iPhone or whatever.

Wow, another generic open-source argument. So, Java runs on linux? Who gives a ****. Only 1% of people use Linux. Server? MS is catching up. Have fun spending all day in the command line.

Off topic: I took a break from .NET, but I’m back. Look for more posts and interaction with you guys. Oh, imaginekitty, welcome back to the dark-side. :smiley:

You just gave me a good name idea for a sith character in the new Star Wars MMO. LOL… DarthNET

No, java doesn’t work on the iPhone.

Lots more people use linux than 1%, especially on the server side. Command lines rock, even microsoft admitted as much – the primary admin interface to the newer server products is powershell not some management studio.

Yes, java does not work on iPhone or iPad. Only objective-c there. And yes, there are more linux servers around than windows IIRC. Terminal is very good and powerful if you know what you are doing. I am only on Android development at the moment with no .net. And I am running linux instead of windows. It is great. Sure, app support is pretty bad without WINE, but the shell is powerful. It is just a matter of getting used to it.

Having said all that. For a server side technology. I would definitely use .net over java. It is really a lot better and the IDE just adds to the experience.

As my .NET background, I suggest you of .NET. But Java is also better. In my openion .NET wins over famous back of Microsoft. So you can have a lot of good support.

One month ago I would have said that this is exactly the argument for Java: no waiting or wondering what MS is going to do. But now in Oracles hands, Java is no better:

Funny how your post is as ill-informed as the comments you are referring to…

The technology you choose to implement with should be defined by the project scope/spec, not by personal preference. Both .NET and Java have advantages over each other in various respects. For some projects, .NET is a better fit and in others Java would be the clear choice. A decent developer should have at least some familiarity with both…