Java

Can we get a Java forum up in here please? Thanks :slight_smile:

There used to be a Java forum, but it was pruned along with a few other forums to make things less cluttered.

AFAIK, the criteria for pruning was to cull/combine low traffic forums into other forums.

I guess General Web Development & Application Design Issues would be the best fit. Including “Java” somewhere in the thread title should help.

And because no one used it :frowning:

That’s surprising to me as I believe it is one of the fastest growing office languages. Though security is an issue, that will eventually be fixed, its cross platform ability is exactly what the computer world needs.

It has surprised me for years. I’ve never quite understood why Java never caught on big or became more widely used. I know several companies that have considered switching to Java, only to go to .NET instead. But alas, it truly is a fact that not many forums get a lot of traffic in their Java forums.

I’m happy to keep an open mind if that appears to change.

I know that Java is huge in the Columbus OH area. Several very large and reputable companies are developing almost solely with Java.

Java is huge, and is used a lot at enterprise level and in academia. The reason we don’t see a lot of it is because it’s not exactly an attractive language to use for the web.

It’s absolutely everywhere on the desktop, and a lot of universities make it their mission to churn out Java developers to join the work force (hence the term JavaSchools for these universities).

.NET definitely won out on the web. PHP is still the undisputed king of the web, but Microsoft and co have quietly built a top-quality framework and with MVC it’s an absolute joy to use at times. Outside of perhaps Python (if I were better at it) I wouldn’t swap C# for any other language.

Hello HAWK,

I add my voice to those who want to have the Java forum reinstated. I was before interested in PHP but recently have switched to Java. I know there are many people like me, and as long as the java forum is open the visitor number will grow steadily. Java is now attracting more attention thanks largely to mobile Apps development mainly done in Java.

I therefore would request the Sitepoint ADMINS to reinstate java again.

Thanks

Well, Java is no doubt extremely valuable as a desktop programming language, with its ability to be distributed to multiple OS’s with little work. I can understand why the forum did not catch on here as this is a web development community, but to rageh’s point, I wonder if we could draw attention to the forum from the mobile development crowd?