JavaScript or jQuery?

Hi,

By the way I’m just starting my hands on JavaScript. While browsing, I came across on the web about jQuery.
It says there that jQuery makes your life simpler, typing lesser code.

Now I would like to ask your opinion whether I need to study JavaScript or just jump directly towards jQuery.

Thanks!

I don’t think it hurts to learn some jQuery now. However jQuery is a javascript library and you will need to learn some javascript as its not a total replacement.

I guess what I’m saying is that if I were you I would learn javascript up to the poiont where it starts talking about the dom model and at that point I would learn jQuery’s way of handling the dom instead.

jQuery lets you do less typing. You need to study Javascript for certain, and then you need to know what it means when jQuery wraps everything you ask for up in Yet Another Object (an object with very handy functions… handy as in, “less typing”).

Playing around with jQuery can, however, help you learn Javascript. I think my vanilla JS is somewhat better now that I’ve written lots of jQuery.

jQuery does abstract lots of cross-browser incompatibilities away from you (think event handlers and ajax), but as browsers are getting more and more standards compliant, a lot of this has become unnecessary.
My advice would be to start with plain JS, then start to learn jQuery once you have the basics under your belt.

One of my favourite sites currently: You Might Not Need jQuery

Think of JavaScript as a one storey building and jQuery as a second storey extension. That’s representative of the relationship between the two.

JQuery is simply a library written in JavaScript to do a few common tasks for you.

Woaah! This is amazing!
As a beginner, I really appreciate all your inputs here. Thanks for the advise, and every post is noted.
Studying now JavaScript, next is jQuery.
How about suggesting some books or other resources that might be helpful.

Best regards!

Well, I personally liked the Derek Banas video tutorials on either newthinktank.com or youtube.com. I found them easy to follow and learned a lot from them.

If you’re after books in particular I am sure the helpful staff at Sitepoint can tell you what’s available from this site.

Ok great!

Thanks a lot Kiwiheretic.

IThere are a few hundred examples on my JavasScript site (the red link in my sig below)

Bookmarked!

Thanks felgall