Joomla Question and htaccess.txt

OK

At present my joomla urls are showing up like http://www.website.com/index.php/gallery

instead of http://www.website.com/gallery.php

So I’ve went into the global configurations section… to the right hand side there is a panel - I Have search engine friendly URL’s turned ON…

Underneath that is the option to Use URL rewriting - with a warning to use this feature htaccess.txt must be renamed to .htaccess — so at present it is off - Should this be on? If so the problem is that on my server there is already a .htaccess file

the contents are:

# -FrontPage-

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

<Limit GET POST>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from all
</Limit>
<Limit PUT DELETE>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Limit>
AuthName prestige-car-valeting.com
AuthUserFile /home/prestig1/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd
AuthGroupFile /home/prestig1/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.grp

then there is the htaccess.txt file which contains alot of

##
# @package		Joomla
# @copyright	Copyright (C) 2005 - 2012 Open Source Matters. All rights reserved.
# @license		GNU General Public License version 2 or later; see LICENSE.txt
##

##
# READ THIS COMPLETELY IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE THIS FILE!
#
# The line just below this section: 'Options +FollowSymLinks' may cause problems
# with some server configurations.  It is required for use of mod_rewrite, but may already
# be set by your server administrator in a way that dissallows changing it in
# your .htaccess file.  If using it causes your server to error out, comment it out (add # to
# beginning of line), reload your site in your browser and test your sef url's.  If they work,
# it has been set by your server administrator and you do not need it set here.
##

etc etc etc

so obviously when i try to rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess it pops up that such a file already exists…

Just copy the code in your htaccess.txt file and add it to your existing .htaccess file.

That’s really all you need to do. Your search engine friendly URLs are not going to work unless the appropriate entries are made to .htaccess.