Joomla vs. Wordpress

Joomla has released version 1.5. This version is coded from the start. Expect more with Joomla 1.5.

how hard is it to upgrade to 1.5? do you have to change your template?

The 1.5 is actually not that great, i have gone back to the older version, they’re more flexible! Joomla has always been a fave for me! I know others though that just hate it and wordpress would be ideal… Its whatever you can manage!

I still don’t agree. Joomla does have more functionality due it being a full blown CMS. But I don’t think a majority of users are moving to it, no matter what site demographic you choose.

And you can add shopping carts and web directories to WordPress. I’m not entirely sure what a real estate site would require but I’m assuming WordPress can do that too, albeit perhaps Joomla is better at these things (I have no idea if it is or not).

Now a days, most of sites are moving to joomla. Even word press component also available in Joomla.

One of best feature in joomla is , you can add additional features at any time.
Many components are available for SEF solution.
In Joomla 1.5 , the SEf url is working fine.

No they are not.

You can do this with WordPress and most other CMS’s too.

Hello ryanhellyer,

I’m didnt mean, very big site or existing Other CMS site are moving to joomla .
Very simple sites are moving to Joomla , because joomla is very easy to manage their own site without help of developers.

In joomla , we can develop from simple static site to big sites like shopping cart, real estate, web directory ,…

i guess it depends on your needs. CMS -joomla is good for adding on new features on the fly without having to code or implement it across the board with wordpress. Joomla adds on stuff to the WHOLE functionality of the site/programing. i guess it is just preferance and trial and error with SEO.

I don’t recommend joomla if you will use is it for your blog…

Wordpress is more of a blogging platform,its very SEO friendly and can become a very effective CMS tool, if you make a few adjustments to it.

Joomla has very bloated code. Worpress is easier to customize the code also. If SEO is a concern, I would vote for WP over Joomla.

Don’t even try to compare joomla and wordpress for blogging, wordpress is way ahead of everyone.

I use WordPress for my 'blog and I’ve developed a website for a client using the Joomla! CMS.

To get Joomla! to do what WordPress does by default (i.e. good SEO support), I’ve had to install a Component called sh404SEF.

As you’ll see from the website, all of the URLs are nice & tidy. Plus, with the Component you have full control over the format and wording of the URLs.

Additionally, if you’re supporting multiple languages (Ardagh Glass is in German and [URL=“http://www.ardaghglass.com/pl/”]Polish, presently still under development) then you can hand-edit the URLs to localize them to better optimize for the search engines.

However, as has been said earlier, Joomla! is much too complex just for a 'blog…

I agree. My blog uses Wordpress and has been very sucessful SEO-wise. You just need to take the time and trouble to tweak the permalink structure, have good robots.txt exclusions etc.

I currently use joomla for a larger site and wordpress for a blog. If you’re planning a small simple site wordpress would be ideal. If you’re planning on growing alot stick with joomla. In terms of seo I know they are seo friendly components availble for joomla.

I tried both, I would stick to wordpress.

Reasons:

1. Wordpress is easier to work with, faster to install.
  2. Wordpress have proven in lots of site that it’s SEO is King.

True, wp is more on the blogging side, while joomla is used to create a dynamic and more complex site…

Apples vs. Oranges. You cant compare a blogging platform to an all-out CMS.

Thanks good know. I just care about the one that easier to use.

I love joomla and what it can do but it does load slow and its hard to seo, not because the plugins are not there but because they are hard to make work correctly. I have used several and turned them off because they give messages that a user has no permission to see an article or they cannot log in. (not yet using 1.5) For seo - wordpress, for ease of use wordpress but for sheer unbeatable range of wonderful functions - joomla. Have both and link to your joomla from the wordpress blog and benefit both ways.