jQuery, Javascript, or both?

I see so it goes through that loop until the count reaches 10 adding each time it goes through the loop? Yeah once you wrote it out like that it made much more sense.

If you ever do figure out how to use Firebug with that let me know. I’ve started using Chrome more recently (used to use Firefox)…but does Chrome have something similar to Firebug? I see Dragonfly is for Opera.

All browsers except FireFox have a debugger built into their developer tools. The Firefox Venkman extension provides an identical debugger for Firefox - plus they all look and work a lot more like the debuggers available for other programming languages than Firebug does - Firebug is aimed more at HTML and CSS than it is at JavaScript.

This video gives a really nice overview of what the Chrome dev tools can do.

jquery is fat bloated idiocy used by people who fail to grasp the point of javascript – it results in even fatter bloated websites filled with nonsense I wouldn’t even advise putting on a website in the first place in most cases!

… and if you bother to learn javascript you’ll find that you don’t need the goofy half-assed crutch… and in most cases can use 4k of real javascript to do what takes most people 30k of scripting BEFORE counting the fat-ass library on top of it.

Jquery is responsible for flushing so many perfectly good websites down the toilet – I still cannot fathom why anyone is DUMB ENOUGH to even WANT to use it.

But I say the same thing about HTML5 so…

Every time I checked Venkmann out, it was several released schedules behind and seemed people were working on it less and less. So I ended up never trying it. Esp. now with Mozilla’s hurry-up-and-die release schedule. Bleh.

Very cool. I’m going to start trying out the Chrome dev tools. Thanks for that link ralph.m! They’ve got some cool features.

Ok Stomme poes…here’s another one. I can almost get it but not quite. I see how it’s similar to the first one. Here’s the code:

var result = 1;
var counter = 0;
while (counter < 10) {
  result = result * 2;
  counter = counter + 1;
}
show(result);

The exercise was to calculate and show the value of 2 to the 10th power. Which obviously is 2 * 2 * 2 …
But I’m having a hard time seeing that in this equation. I see result = result * 2 so therefore 1 = 1 * 2 right? Then the counter is incrementing the result by 1 each time up til it reaches 10? So I kinda get it but I’m not seeing how that equals the 2 * 2 * 2 (10 times).

I feel like I’m close but I haven’t quite grasped it yet. Is it ok if I ask you these questions here?

One of the disadvantages of using Firefox as IE, Chrome, Safari, and Opera all use a debugger that looks like the Venkman one. I guess if you do all your JavaScript testing in the other browsers then the fact that Firefox doesn’t have a decent equivalent debugger will not matter so much as once the code is tested and works in IE, Chrome, Safari and Opera then it ought to work in Firefox as well - even though Firefox does some of its JavaScript processing in a totally backwards way.

Ok I think I got it.

I added print(result) in the code to see what’s happening.

var result = 1;
var counter = 0;
while (counter < 10) {
  result = result * 2;
  print(result)
  counter = counter + 1;
}
show(result);

I get it now I think. :wink:

You mean like the web developer toolbar which is now at around 40% broken on anything newer than FF 3.5x – the parts that are broken (like info->document size) being the only parts of it I use in the first place?

Nothing like a fast release schedule that breaks extensions/plugins on a browser that’s effectively a useless tinkertoy without extensions/plugins… that if you have stability issues with it they tell you to not use extensions/plugins… bloody brilliant.

NOT. But again, I’ve never understoood why FF was so blasted popular in the first place given what a buggy, unstable pile of manure it has ALWAYS been for me. (just like every other gecko based browser I’ve ever tried) – from my being able to send 1.x and 2.x into 100% cpu lock-land in less than 15 minutes (It’s not a bug, it’s a feature), to 3.x crashing if you dare to try and save anything (even images), to 4.x+ breaking every plugin I consider useful to the point there’s really little reason for me to even have them installed…

Seriously, why do people use FF again? Sad when it makes IE6 look reliable and stable.

[ot]

You mean like the web developer toolbar which is now at around 40% broken on anything newer than FF 3.5x – the parts that are broken (like info->document size) being the only parts of it I use in the first place?

I wouldn’t know, I’m still using 3.6.2 on this machine :slight_smile:

Though I ordered a laptop which will (hopefully) have Linux Mint Debian Edition on it. It will come with Firefox as Mint offers it (Debian won’t cause it’s not “free” enough for them), so probably it will come with FF6. Hm.

3.5 really didn’t crash on me, but 3.6.2 hangs very easily whenever it hits a page (like twitter) with constant mother-loving ajax strewn all over the page like a toddler just vomited. But then, the newer developers have decided HTTP without HTTPXMLRequest is somehow a bad thing.

Just saw this twot from Nicholas Zakas:
slicknet:
Would love to see some upgrade adoption numbers for Firefox. Faster releases = faster user upgrades or no?

To me, the idea that I have to stop a lot and go deal with an upgrade for a major application is a pain in the neck. Of course, whenever people say this, the common answer is “Oh I know! Silent updates!” meaning, now stuff breaks and you have to crawl through your about:config because something mysteriously stopped working instead of blatently stopped working.
Plus silent updates suck when you’re paying for bandwidth. I left that “constantly busy and slow cause I’m updatin’” crap behind when I left Windows.

Seriously, why do people use FF again? Sad when it makes IE6 look reliable and stable.

Similarly, I can’t figure out why some people stick to an inferior OS who costs money but doesn’t even have any decent POSIX tools by default :slight_smile:

Lawlz.
I use Firefox for NoScript (sorry Opera doesn’t offer anything even remotely like it; I think it should be standard and default on all browsers and not a plugin), text-enlarge (freaking hate zoom. Zoom can go die in a fire, slowly and horribly), and sees my Desktop Environment settings (Opera and Chrome sure don’t). Also I like having the option of viewing image properties when I click on them (tho of course Mozilla removed that, too useful or something, but aha, someone made a plugin. Sigh).[/ot]