Jquery Noivice to Ninja 2nd ed getting two particular examples to work

chapter 7
11_star_rating
The code on page 270 does not work as intended. Its puts the attribute ‘checked’ in all radio buttons. Surely what is required is to put the said attribute in only one radio button and clear it from the rest.
18_simple_modal.dialog
I can’t get closeDialog() to work.
For both examples I have not, so far, been unable to discover why the given error code is in error.

I found that I can get 18_simple.modal.dialog to work by substituting the function’ live 'for the three occurrences of ‘on’ in the closeDialog() function

Just wanted to point this out, as I’m not sure which version of jQuery the book was written for, but as of 1.7 jQuery deprecated the live() event for the use of on()
http://api.jquery.com/live/

As of jQuery 1.7, the .live() method is deprecated. Use .on() to attach event handlers. Users of older versions of jQuery should use .delegate() in preference to .live().

I know this but how to make it work with 'on. I am using the second edition.Anyway thank you for the interest.

I’ve recently got a copy of the book, hopefully I can take a look at it this weekend to see if I can’t help you figure it out.