jQuery - $.post callback data is empty

I have the following in the header if index.php:

<script type="text/javascript" src="/jquery/jqueryui/js/jquery-1.4.2.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/jquery/jqueryui/js/jquery-ui-1.8.6.custom.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/jquery/jqueryui/development-bundle/ui/jquery.ui.tabs.js"></script>
    <script>
    $(document).ready(function(){
        $(function() {
            $( "#tabs" ).tabs();
        });
        $("#submit").click(function(){
            var post = $('#myForm').serialize();
            $.post("functions.php", post, function(data) {
                alert(data);
            });
        });
    });
    </script>

The relevant body of index.php is:

<form action="" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" name="myForm" id="myForm">
              <label for="keyword">Keyword</label>
              <input type="text" name="keyword" id="keyword" />
              <input type="submit" name="submit" id="submit" value="Submit" />
          </form>

Functions.php has the following:

<?php require_once('../Connections/cms.php'); ?>
    <?php
    $myFile = "testFile.txt";
    $fh = fopen($myFile, 'w');

// And then the code to run a query with the keyword and print results in a table

When I refresh index.php and click on ‘Submit’, it DOES create testFile.txt - meaning it is correctly referring to functions.php, but the alert is empty.

I then delete testFile.txt and click on ‘Submit’ without refreshing, and this time, it does NOT create testFile.txt - and hence, my guess is that it is not calling on functions.php, and of course, alert is empty as usual.

What I want to do is this:
I want to be able to click on the Submit button - without refreshing the page - and return data from functions.php and display it within a div tag on index.php

What am I doing wrong to get an empty alert?

First of all check that functions.php is returning some data.

using no javascript, have a form post data to Functions.php

Do you see anything after posting? If not, no data is capable of making it back to the script.

Once you know that Functions.php is providing data, you can move in with troubleshooting the scripting.

Hi, the php file, functions.php has the following right in the beginning:

print_r($_POST);

The alert should show all posted values, at least, but it doesn’t. The script obviously does.

Let’s try and rule out the PHP code from being the cause of the problem.

Does the ajax script work when you entirely replace functions.php with some static content?

Functions.php

<?php
echo 'Some static test content.';
?>

Nope, it doesn’t work…

You can replace php script with some static .html file and even that wouldn’t be shown.

That’s good to confirm. In several hours I’ll be able to dedicate some time towards looking into this.