June Photo Challenge - Reflections, Light and Shadow

I’m grateful that I don’t have to wash them :lol:

Sorry then, my mistake. Can you tell is a little about the photo – what inspired it, the props you used, etc.?

This will be my first attempt at a photo challenge. (fingers crossed)

Took this one of my sister last year.

This one was a shark that was caught on a family vacation to Florida

And lastly one of a Coca-Cola bottle from this past winter :slight_smile:

Nice work, Telo. :slight_smile:

There are no winners or losers here. Just great pictures like yours, and not-so-great, like mine. :slight_smile:

Oh, I know :slight_smile:
I’ve been silently watching for months now.
This is a great community.
Just wasn’t sure if the pictures would be accepted, I guess?
They seem to be though :smiley:

More then acceptable–excellent! :slight_smile:

I have another couple here. In the first one, I like the stripey effect of the shadows across the path; in the second, I like the stark contrast of the shadow with the brightly-lit surrounding area. :slight_smile:

I particularly like the way the reflections are multiplied in this.

It was taken from inside a building, through two sets of glass doors, on a very sunny day (in Virginia).

Me too! That is a way-cool picture. I’m extremely jealous of your camera right now!

Lots of great shots, I’m impressed by all of you.
ParkinT, that’s a great shot, very weird reflection effect.

And TechnoBear, your great shadowshots reminded me of this picture I took (the same winter as the heron photo). No reflections, not much light, but so much shadow it has become almost a silhouette. I hope it’s on topic.

Interesting picture, @guido2004. I love the patterns of the branches and the contrast between the slender twigs and the rounded shapes of the birds. The dim light reminded me of one I took a couple of weeks ago. (This is turning into a kind of “picture association” thread. :lol:) It was mid-afternoon, but very misty and the light was really weird. I’ve ended up with an almost monochrome picture, with a very faint, ghostly reflection in the water.

That’s a really cool photo. A beautiful ship as well. And yes, it’s so perfectly monochrome it would be hard to get that perfect with photoshop :slight_smile:

Thank you. :slight_smile: If only I could say I planned it that way, but I’m afraid all the credit goes to my camera. :smiley:

The camera is simply a tool. It is the way in which the craftsman uses that tool that makes it art. Admittedly, many of the subtle things you did to make that a GREAT SHOT were instinctive. But you still should not deny yourself credit for timing, composition, choice of subject (just to name a few important aspects).

I am a firm believer that you do not need an expensive camera to take wonderful photographs. By the same token, the most sophisticated and expensive camera is equally capable of taking awful photos; in the wrong hands.

That ship looks as if it could be the Flying Dutchman. It’s eerily lovely. If these photos (all of 'em matey) are examples of picture association, then I say anchors away. I’m loving this thread! I salute you all! :tup:

So it does - I hadn’t thought of that. :slight_smile: And oddly enough, I’m pretty sure it is Dutch. I think it’s the same vessel as in this picture, taken last Monday in the exact same location. It’s amazing what a difference atmospherics make to a picture.
[/FONT]

It certainly is amazing. There is no reflection or shadow at all in that picture, except that it looks like the hill tops have a slight shadow, which is peculiar since it appears there is not even a cloud near to cast one.

That’s actually differences in rock/vegetation giving the illusion of shadow. The only cloud in the sky was a little fluffy white stuff out to the west - you can just see a bit of it in the picture.

[FONT=Verdana]As my last picture didn’t have either reflections or shadows (I only posted it for comparison with my previous picture) I thought I’d make up for it with this one, which has both. :slight_smile:

January 2010 was unusually cold, and the beach froze solid for several days. This picture has the houses across the road reflected in the ice on the beach, and my shadow as I took the photo. (It was late evening; I’m not really that shape. :lol:) It also has nice effects of light and shadow on the beach.
[/FONT]