Junior/Trainee Web Designer

Hi all,

I’d like to look into a Junior/Trainee Web Design role. I have a few questions regarding experience and what employers are looking for.

I am confident with XHTML and CSS, with basic work with Photoshop. I am also confident with SEO, though external SEO I’m a little out of touch with.

I’m looking to get into PHP and JS, I haven’t touched this yet though I understand what it is and what it’s for.

Does anyone have any advice? I’m also 30 - what are the chances of finding a role that can assist in developing my skills?

Many thanks

Hello,

what is your question though? Are you afraid that 30 might be too old? If that’s the case, then you don’t have to worry because it isn’t even close to being too old.

As far as skills go, I could list everything, but instead I’m going to point you to an article that echoes my sentiments better than I ever could: http://www.andyrutledge.com/the-employable-web-designer.php

I guess my questions are:

1. Do I know enough to be in a trainee/junior web design role?
  2. When employers look for trainee/junior staff, would my age be a factor?

Did you read the page I linked to? It’s quite good a read and answers your questions on what is expected of a web designer today.

Age can be a factor but very rarely is, and a thirty-something must not worry about age at all in this field, in fact, it can help in you some cases.

What is your current experience, in the industry and education?

Particularly, does this mean you have worked in an environment using said technologies or is it book/ self-learning exercises?

If you don’t have experience in a professional role, within the industry you will be unlikely to find a junior role. Junior role generally means ~2ish years in the industry. A junior role is not a trainee. A trainee, is more or less an internship. Junior developers and designers are expected to know what they are doing with little direction.

Awaiting your response before anything else can be said.

We recently employed a junior developer in his 30s here at SitePoint. :slight_smile:

Maybe its the same person :stuck_out_tongue:

You’d be a junior, you’re not expected to know a lot :wink:

1. When employers look for trainee/junior staff, would my age be a factor?

If I were hiring I would be looking for slightly older staff, the younger generation IMHO has poor work skills, poor attitudes and no loyalty.