Just want a BASIC calendar in my sidebar

I’ve been going through all the Plug-ins I can find and finally decided to ask here. Does anyone know of a simple calendar that I can place in the sidebar of my website? All I want it to do is show the current month (with the ability to flip forward/back through other months). I don’t want it to do anything else, no events tied to it, no rss feed, etc. I simply want it as a visual aid to visitors of the website, when they are looking at things mentioned in the articles so they can see what day of the week it might be on, or how many days from today it is.

If anyone can point me to the most basic of calendars I would appreciate it.

Greg

Hi,

I know you said you don’t want an events based calendar, but if you install the Events Calendar plugin, but simply don’t add any events to it, this should do exactly what you are after.
That is, out of the box it will provide you with a calendar widget that you can embed in your sidebar, which initializes to the current month and which your users can page through backwards and forwards.
None of your posts, or anything else for that matter is marked on the calendar.
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/events-calendar/

That actually works perfectly as you stated and is just the look we were going for. I did have to go into the CSS for the widget to tweak the colors a bit, but we’ve got it all setup now. Thanks for the heads up. Biggest thing we wanted to get rid of was the RSS link the other calendar we were using had. Since events aren’t being posted there, then the RSS is completely unneeded and we didn’t want someone subscribing to it and then pointing out to us that nothing ever shows up there. (-:

Greg

You’re welcome.
Glad you got it working how you want.

The calender widgets can solve your problem. After login to your wp-admin panel, go Appearance -> widgets, Drag the calender widgets into sidebar.

But, doesn’t the WordPress calendar widget highlight the dates on which posts were made? (contrary to what the OP wants)
Plus, AFAIK the WP widget only displays a calendar for the period of time for which posts exist (i.e. you can’t scroll five months into the future).
If you know a way around these limitations, or if I am just doing it wrong, I would be grateful if you would let me know.