Keyword density...plz help

Is keyword density still counts for google crawlers and its just about fresh content ?

Hi beckabaz, welcome to the forum.

Search engines have become smarter over the years and keyword density % no longer have a significant impact in affecting the rankings.

Highly ranked web pages are often packed with either useful information such as original how-to guides or content that are worth sharing such as infographics or a story. With this in mind, instead of focusing on keyword density, try to focus your efforts on creating content are link-worthy or worth sharing.

Thanks for the info, till now i lived with the knowledge that i need tu use from 3% to 5% keywords out of my website content, it’s not true anymore? So how does the search engine connects between the keywords and my page that uses this keyword?

Beckabaz,

There isn’t really a set density but you don’t want to add the keyword that much. I use the 2-3% rule as kind of a threshold but there isn’t a set scientific number where if you use a keyword ‘x’ amount of times your page will rank better.

Check out what Cutts has to say about it,

Best,

Shawn

Yes Keyword density is important for crawler. You get more advantage for your website if your content are fully fresh because now Google focus more to relevant and new content.

Thank you guys for such a nice help.

PROPER keyword density does indeed make a difference in the search results. That is how Google and other search engines rank the content on a web page for placement in organic search results. While recent algorithmic changes made by Google, such as Penguin, target spammy and duplicate content, legitimate keyword placement throughout a webpage does affect average placement in the search results.

As search engine spiders crawl a website, the content on each web page is analyzed and categorized according to common threads and similarities. The words used most frequently are those the spider attaches the most significance to when the content gets indexed, the reason being that they figure if something is used a lot on a web page, it is relevant to the overall message of that page. Have you noticed how when you do a search in Google, the results will have your search terms emboldened? What you see is the actual content on the page. Good keyword density is a major factor in how well a particular web page is ranked in the search results. There are also other key factors, like internal and external links to your site, the age of the site, and the uniqueness of your content.

Regarding my use of the term “proper”, what I mean is this: there is a common misconception that if you simply repeat a particular keyword a bunch of times on a page, you’ll rank higher for that word. At one time, this may have been true, but as more and more redundant and spam content was added to web pages, the search engines set safeguards in place to penalize such tactics. The key to effective keyword density is to use terms and phrases that are relevant throughout the page in a way that doesn’t seem contrived or spammy. Use important terms more frequently, but in a way that flows naturally with the content of the page. Use different ways of saying the same thing. For instance, on a web page about mylar, you could use “laminated mylar”, “alluminized mylar”, “polyethelyne terephthalate”, “biaxially oriented polyethylene terephthalate”, “BoPET”, and a dozen or so other terms and phrases that all refer to the same substance: mylar. Using different ways to say the same thing keeps you from seeming redundant or spammy.

as far as I know it’s important to put keywords in the begining of the article (content) and in the end.

The old straight 1 to 4% density formula of the past no longer works. Google has evolved and it continues to evolve. Instead of looking at density, you need to consider the following factors

Write in terms of THEMES - Google and other SEs used to look at certain keywords as ‘triggers’ regarding the meaning and overall subject of the content. Now, they look at the overall theme. To target THEMES, use keyword clusters that are RELATED TO EACH other. For example: if your content’s real target is DOG TRAINING, your text should have keywords involving dog training supplies, dog training methods, etc

Focus on HUMAN READERS -Google doesn’t want to say it outright but according to many SEO professionals, Google is paying attention to many user reaction signals. If humans don’t like your content, chances are Google will know and factor this in. This is why your content needs to ENGAGE human readers on many personal levels instead of just fitting an SEO formula

Thank you, I was unaware they have little importance anymore, thanks again :slight_smile:

Also important:
Consistency and correlation of the keywords in the file name, the <title>, the <meta> description, the headers of a page and the content text. Everything dancing round 1 main subject of a page!

The first result of the 13.100.000 results (!) has a page rank of 4, and:

• The file name is liquidcorners.htm (and it resides in a subdirectory /liquidcorners/)
  • The <title> is: “Round corners in pure css for liquid design and transparent scrolling - tutorial and stylesheet”.
  • The description is: “How to make a style-sheet for rounded corners in html without use of tables or javascript. A pure css-solution with a collapsible box for [B]liquid /B design. Tutorial, stylesheet and examples.”
  • The keywords <meta> contains the 3 also; if no influence, it doesn’t hurt; anyway it is corresponding to the rest.
  • The content header is: Liquid round corners (hm, in a <h2> instead of a <h1> …).
  • The keyword liquid is 14 times on the page.
  • The keyword round (or rounded) is 9 times on the page.
  • The keyword corner(s) is 59 times on the page.

Of course there are other factors for the first place:

• The page is from 2005 (last update 2007), and not a 1 day fly.
  • There is a lot of text content in the article.
  • There are good backlinks from other pages of the site.
  • Also good links from outside, as the Wiki of the (quality / PR-6) css-discuss forum: [U]css-discuss.incutio.com/wiki/Rounded_Corners[/U].

… and in the meantime we have the css3 border-radius! :wink:

PS: The same page is coming as result #2 of 1.750.000 for Fluid Round Corners ([U]www.google.nl/search?q=fluid+round+corners[/U]),
and #3 of 2.850.000 for Fluid Rounded Corners ([U]google.nl/search?q=fluid+rounded+corners[/U]).
Without much keyword density for the word Fluid, which is only 2 times on the page: once in the description, and once in the text.
That’s not overwhelming! :slight_smile:

Yes keywords density is very important for content writer as well any search engine crawler, if we no see that thing content meaning will be different for website’s visitor and for crawler see that content fro spam, means your content not full fill search engine rules and regulation.

Thanks LCWS & Francky for giving such detailed posts. I agree with both of your comments. These are practices we’ve been implementing. It’s reassuring to hear other people have the same approach.

Keyword density should be less than 5% for plural keyword.

As per my knowledge,Variation of keyword is important in your content.First optimize the content for readers,then for google.You can include target phrases 1-3 times in text.Quality of content is more important than quantity.Google prefer fresh and unique content,make sure that you are not copying the content from any other resource.

Generally, i learned that the keyword density should be less than 5% for the main keywords and less than 3% for other long tail keywords. Also, you should remember to add partial match keyword into your content in order to diversify and avoid being penalized for over-optimization.

That alone cant be the basis for over-optimization. What are the other factors that count?

Yes Dear Keyword density plays very important role always. It should be 3-4%. Means not less then 3 and not greater then 4.

yes definitely! According to Google’s Latest updates 1.5-2% KW density is perfect for a Website for proper SEO. I hope your confusion is cleared now!

Where at Google did you find those numbers?

All I could see relating to keywords was https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35769?hl=en

Think about the words users would type to find your pages, and make sure that your site actually includes those words within it.