Keyword in domain name

I find that it’s a balance. As people have mentioned the introduction of EMDs have made keyword domains less effective, and you should always consider things like popular appeal aswell. Jamming 5-6 keywords into a domain makes for a in my opinion dodgy looking domain that is hard to remember. In my opinion, a snappy, short, direct and memorable domain beats a multiple keyword domain that may score slightly higher on a search if all other sites are equal.

Keyword in domain isn’t good unless you have a QUALITY content.

Position the keyword in the url is very helpful in optimizing the site because we can optimize keyword as well as url if we use keyword in domain name.

It’s not. It used to be a “clever” way for folks to try and spam the Google index for a few years but that’s over now, finally. Branding is usually the best way to go, unless of course, your business is already called something like “Springvale Physiotherapy Centre” or some other location-based name.

Moderators: Isn’t there an “SEO” category for this? It’s got nothing to do with social media.

Well since Google changed it’s algorithm and started actually penalizing many exact match domains, it’s just not as effective as it used to be. Some people still do good with them but a lot of people were hit. A lot of people are starting to go with branded domain names. As far as length of a domain, I’d say if you can get no more that 10 - 12 characters (no hyphens) then you’re doing good.

plz do not use keyword in url if you are using then avoid lengthy url, try to keep it short. and you can use “-” in urls.

[ot]

The forum named “SEO” was merged with some others to form the “Internet Marketing” forum … to which this thread has been moved. :slight_smile: [/ot]

After EMD update it is not that important. Google prefers brand names in the home page URL and yes in internal pages it is important to keyword.

253 characters is the maximum length of the domain name with dot and 63 character is the maximum length of the label. label is nothing by the character separated by .(dot) for example let your domain name is [noparse]www.mysite.com[/noparse], here the labels are www, mysite and com.

According to a study by SEOmoz on search engine ranking factors (http://moz.com/article/search-ranking-factors), domain level brand metrics now only account for 7% of a website’s ranking on search engines. Even though nobody knows for sure what is the exact percentage, it goes to show that using keywords for domain names are not as effective in SEO ranking as before.

Most of the top brands in the world (e.g. Google, Oreo, Redbull) do not have keywords in their domain names. It clearly shows that branding now is more important than having keywords!

• Aaron

Hello,

I feel like I’m jumping on this after it’s already been answered but I thought I’d clarity a few things.

A few years ago, exact match domains were a great way to rank for keywords. Nowadays they’re still a contributing factor but they’re nowhere near as important as they used to be. Google’s got wind of this technique and is making steps to devalue this factor even further. If you’re setting up a website right now there’s no point having exact match domains as part of any long term strategy.

Keywords in domain name are one of the search engine ranking factors, but off late it has become a shady practice and Google started avoiding such websites in its search results with an EMD (Exact Match Domain) algorithm update. Can be dangerous be equally good, it all depends on how the relevancy of the content on the site and the quality links it gets, not only the keyword in the URL.

Google are claiming they penalize exact match domains but we can still see a lot of (crappy) websites with keywords in their domain ranking high on the SERP.

I would go for max 3 words in a domain and if your desired domain is taken try adding hyphens between words, it’s actually easier to read the domain that way, and it looks great if you’re doing PPC

Game is now changed…So mine suggestion to you don’t buy that domain in which has keyword because Google update the algorithm for this i.e. Exact Match Domain…Be focus on brand name…

If your site related to ecommercial marketing then it should be 70% keyword related and it will be far better if its related to business.