KVM versus OpenVZ, does it matter?

Continuing the discussion from Looking for reviews on mymoviefinder.com:

@mawburn, just curious, as I’ve been contemplating getting another environment set up (sort of a playground of sorts). What are your thoughts on KVM versus OpenVZ?

From what I’ve read, both have slight drawbacks to each other and slight improvements, so it feels like a stalemate. Is there anything that would alter your decision?

I’m trying to specifically get my head around “OpenVZ is limited by the kernel”. Does this simply mean you may not be able to install components that need to inject modules into the kernel? I doubt I’d need that ability, but some software is becoming overly complex, as of late.

I’m honestly not sure, I use OpenVZ for Play, which is pretty much completely self contained. I haven’t had any problems. I only use it for a test server, I’ve been pushing everything else to Heroku (which I love btw).

I think it’s more of how it works internally. The way I understand it is the OpenVZ is sort of like a shared host where it releases a lot of resources when not in use, but as a VPS. KVM is a traditional VM on their server.

There isn’t a huge savings for the OpenVZ vs KVM though.

Edit:

I thought this was a PM. :smile: Discourse is weird.

Interesting. I’ve been seriously considering getting a VPS for a testing/playground so I can test a few things outside of my usual realm. Rails, Node.js, etc. I’ve been seriously contemplating trying out Ghost to see how well it will replace a few of the Wordpress blogs I currently have.

I don’t really need all of the “bloat” wordpress comes with, so it has been something I’ve been contemplating for a while.

I also have had interest in trying so other Node.js/Rails applications, purely out of curiosity.

Let me know how your Ghost goes. I’ve been thinking about it or Django-CMS for taking a shot at starting a blog/personal site recently. Ghost doesn’t seem very mature yet. But Django-CMS seems like I may have to spend too much time with it, which I don’t want to do either.

Yeah, there is also Octopress (which is built off of Jekyll). I’ll let you know, but it may be another month or two.

for me it comes down to what I use the VPS for

If you need to be able to edit and tune TCP /etc/sysctl.conf and/or use custom kernels within your VPS, then choose KVM or Xen. OpenVZ VPS can’t do either of those 2 mentioned tasks.

2 Likes

I got around to installing Ghost recently. I don’t think I like it at all. It’s a lot more immature than I thought it was going to be. I saw in another thread where you said you picked one, but I forgot which thread it was.

I’m probably going to switch to Django CMS. I’ve used that before and liked it, but it’s not a CMS based on blogging and I’ve never used the blogging plugins.

I ultimately picked Pelican. The entire software runs locally and only uploads static HTML to your webserver. So the webserver doesn’t need anything special and can really trimmed down. Works great for what I needed, may not be for everyone though.

I never did get around to installing Ghost and now with your comments, I’m a bit glad I found Pelican when I did. :smile:

Well Ghost is good and it’s VERY easy to get something published. I love Markdown and it’s editor is very clean and simple to use. Theming it seems pretty easy, I just kind of piddled around in that though I may check this out more in-depth before I actually decide to give it up. But so far it just doesn’t seem very flexible.

I mean, they don’t even have a plugin directory in their marketplace (yet), it’s just a forum:

https://ghost.org/forum/plugins/

It was definitely done in an Agile way, because what is there is pretty great and polished up very nicely… there just isn’t much there.

Something else that bothers me is that their Theme Marketplace doesn’t have very many themes in it, but they implemented an infinite scrolling that just keeps looping over the same list instead of reaching the end. I feel like this was intentional and to me seems kind of underhanded if that’s the case. http://marketplace.ghost.org/themes/free/

If you get any free time and care to write a tutorial topic here I’m certain more than one member would be appreciative. (not so shielded hint)

Finding a CMS that fits needs is a daunting task, 'i guess that’s why most make the needs fit the CMS

1 Like

Sure I might be able to do that, what sort of tutorial? I’ve never really blogged before or written anything like that other than basic “how-to-use” instructions (which were very dry).

Personnaly I don’t find the MarkDown guide all that difficult,
And part of the problem here is that Discourse use a mongrel of subsets of

• some HTML tags are OK
  • some bbCode tags are OK
  • some MarkDown is OK

But I think for the majority of nembers that are having trouble formatting their posts it’s because of unfamilliarity with using MarkDown

Ah sure, I could probably do that if I don’t forget. I just kinda figure it out as I go because I’ve used it on SO and Reddit enough. (I also wrote my own crossbreed version of it with wiki markup)

Discourse does have a weird version of it though, with the html tags and what not.

I don’t doubt that. Pelican uses Markdown or reStructuredText (you can take your pick). I like Markdown, and it is nice being able to use whatever Markdown editor I want, to write my content and then give it to Pelican to process into a static HTML file.

The only issues I had, was everything about plugins and Pelican is barely documented. I spent HOURS figuring out how to get images I include in my content to generate thumbnails (so I didn’t have to do it manually). I eventually found a nice plugin to do it, but there were some “undocumented” features that were needed to make it work.

In the end, I still feel like I picked the right product that fit my needs, but if my needs expanded just a little bit, it likely wouldn’t work as well.

Yes does matter, 60% of cache repositories doesn’t work on OpenVZ because of the OS limitations. you can not control OS System RAM.

On KVM, every cache plugin works very smooth with full control.

Regards