Laptop isn't slow but computer is? Network

Just browsing different websites (youtube, sitepoint, gmail, etc) the internet on my desktop computer (which I recently brought over from my parents house) is extremely slow on this internet. It seems to need a modem reset every time and then it’s only good for a minute or so and then goes back to being extremely slow/nonloading. Every 5-10 minutes it might fix itself only to slowdown again.

My chromebook always is fast and never has had an issue. Is there anything I can try on my computer to help see what the problem is? Everytime I run the diagnostic test in the network connections area, it says there was an access point issue which gets fixed every time…

My guess is the router/modem is dying. I’ve had that happen with several routers in the past where they reset themselves after normal usage and it wasn’t until I replaced it that the problem went away.

Does that actually explain the laptop being fine and the desktop not though?

I’m not seeing the logic, sorry :-/.

Most of the time, computer slowness can be a result of malware. If you don’t already have it installed, Malwarebytes is worth the time to download and install. The free version does not offer real-time protection, but it WILL remove anything that has sneaked past other anti-malware apps. The registered version will auto-update and give real-time protection. You can also find online coupon codes that will turn the lifetime $24 registration fee into a slightly-less-than $20 (US) fee. LIFETIME… pay once, and done.

HTH,

:slight_smile:

Clear caches.

If you use Windows, clear TEMP folder, temporary internet cache (hidden folder under your user profile) and content.IE5 folder (inside temp internet folder)

This is easy and you can start with this.

Another good thought. Also, if you use IE, go into Internet Options, set the cache to clear on browser exit, then set it to get fresh data on every page load. The IE cache can get HUGE, and slow down browsing.

:slight_smile:

I literally JUST reinstalled windows 7. And I haven’t downloaded anything I know isn’t safe. No websites besides my usual big website names.

I’ll install it though and see what happens.

[quote=“WolfShade, post:6, topic:114535”]
Also, if you use IE,
[/quote]Cmon now :wink: .

It just seems like the internet just stops working. Not really slow down, per say, just shut down altogether.

Network card going bad?

I hope not…I’m trying the malware thing as soon as the Internet starts working again :-/. The desktop had no issues a few days ago.

Are there any cmdprompt commands I can use to help?

That is strange… Is it using WIFI or LAN? If WIFI then hook it up using ethernet cable. If it’s the same result then I would get a new network/wifi card. I’ve bought USB based one and that worked fine.

If you think it’s software related then load up UBUNTU at startup. You don’t have to install Ubuntu as it can be run on memory. If the speed is same then most likely hardware related.

1 Like

I’m not that technically great with this…It’s xfinity Internet. There’s a router or modem…one of them (network key on the back).

I don’t think there’s any cable I can use here.

What USB one did you buy? Cheap?

I’ll try Ubuntu also if the malware doens’t work.

http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un-150Mbps-Raspberry-Supports/dp/B003MTTJOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425509196&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+wireless+adapter

I just picked the most popular but it’s pretty cheap.

1 Like

Thanks. Just ordered that in case. I’ll get it in Friday.

Found 2 malware but quarentining it didn’t fix anything. I’m guessing it really is the network card…oh well. I still have my chromebook…

Thanks everyone.

It sounds like both systems use wireless, since you mentioned “what cable” I assume that.

The Ubuntu trick is the best idea because if the Internet works great, it must be a driver/software/network issue with Windows.
If it works just as bad, it could be the wireless is bad. You might even double check that the wireless card in the desktop is plugged in tight and the antenna is attached good and solid. Does the desktop show you the wireless signal strength? Make sure that isn’t very poor.

Good luck!

Shows it’s solid.

I’ll try the Ubuntu trick as well - need to look up the crap for that though since it’s been ages since I’ve installed that on my chromebook.

You don’t need to install anything! It’s just an ISO you download and burn it to DVD then boot it from the desktop. Nothing is installed, it’s just a “live CD” that runs Ubuntu without needing to install.

In fact, if you already have any live Linux CDs/DVDs lying around, they will probably still work. Hopefully it can automatically install a wireless driver though, cause if it can’t install the wireless, you can’t test anyway!

Desktop internet isn’t working. Can’t download it on there.

Chromebook doesn’t have a DVD drive.

ALso I don’t have a CD.

try slax and run it live off a usb stick. Its super small ~250mb and awesome. Just remember to set the computer to boot from usb in the bios.

ahh CD’s … remember building a computer for my parents a couple of years ago and bought a dvd writer, think i’ve used it twice :slight_smile: