Laravel 5 and Homestead

I am sorry to say, I have no experience with Homestead. As I mentioned, I used PuPHPet. Maybe it would be better to uninstall and reinstall Vagrant, if that is where you think you are having problems.

Scott

I think this thread may end up in a different forum - it turns out that on my laptop (MSI MS 1755), virtualization is supported, but disabled. I have spent all evening hunting everywhere in my BIOS and on Google and can’t find where to enable it.

Ah… yes I remember that issue. F**kin windows – nothing is easy. Though it has been about 2 years since I had to deal with it so can’t exactly recall how to fix it. Perhaps search on google “windows enable virtualization” and see if you can’t find something.

Apparently the problem is with my make and model of laptop - it technically is a gaming laptop (don’t know if that’s the reason MSI made it impossible to find where to enable virtualization), but when I go into the BIOS, that feature is not there. However, I used Speccy to take a look, and apparently it is supported, just not enabled.

Maybe there is an upgrade of your bios, which will allow the virtualization?

Scott

@WebMachine what happens when you follow the instructions in this quick tip to the letter?

Or even simpler, specifically, if you open Git Bash (if you still haven’t installed Git tools on Windows, please do so, it’ll make your life infinitely easier) and run the following commands in order:

git clone https://github.com/swader/homestead-improved hi_sample
cd hi_sample
sed -i '' "s@map\: \.@map\: $PWD@g" Homestead.yaml
vagrant up

?

1 Like

@Webmachine did you solve your virtualization problem? If not, if you would want to shoot me some pictures or something I could try and help you out. Typically you’re looking under some sort of “CPU Options” menu although it’s pretty much been different on most BIOS I’ve looked at, so kind of hard to give you a generic answer. You’re right, it’s ludicrously hard to find settings information for particular computers and mobos and such. It’s annoying.

@swader, @jeffreylees - thank you for your suggestions. I will try these out when I get some time this afternoon.

I had given up and gone back to using my setup in xampp, figuring that if my machine had virtualization disabled and didn’t show the option to enable it, then I was out of luck until I got a different laptop.

I tried finding the users manual for my laptop (an MSI gaming laptop), but they want you to create an account and sign your life away first so I bailed.

That’s why I am asking you to try the above procedure - if it doesn’t work then we know virtualization being disabled is the problem.

2 Likes

FWIW, I think I only had to turn on virtualization on my BIOS when I wanted x64 VMs.

His problem is he has no option to do turn on virtualization in his bios.

Scott

Yeah, what I’m saying is that I’m not sure if she’d need to, hence why trying @swader’s suggestion would be a good quick way to know one way or another.

Also, why I was asking for pictures of BIOS screens above - just to be sure the setting is not being missed. I know mine on my work machine was buried in some submenu ambiguously worded.

I went through every submenu several times and didn’t find it. I’ll let you know later today when I try again. BTW FWIW I’m a ‘she’. :smiley:

1 Like

And I’m still inside my edit window for my last :wink:

What gender assumption??? :angel:

:smile:

I like your quick reaction – edit, @jeffreylees

1 Like

Here are the images of my BIOS. As I mentionnd in a previous post, I used Speccy to take a look at my system, and apparently I have virtualization support, but virtualization is disabled.

I seem to be progressing slowly (I haven’t had much time to work on this lately) - I got as far as typing the ‘vagrant up’ command and have run into a conflict with my ports. How can I fix this without wrecking my Xampp setup that uses port 80?

The error message was as follows:

I would like to know if I added the line “config.vm.network :forwarded_port, guest: 80 host: 1234” , would that do the job, or would I really mess up everything?

I’m thinking “1234” are “example” numbers, not a suggested value to use.

I have Vagrant on VirtualBox so things could be different but my Vagrantfile has this

config.vm.network :forwarded_port, guest: 3000, host: 4000
  config.vm.network :forwarded_port, guest: 1080, host: 4080 # Mailcatcher

• BUT - before you do editing, try running vagrant up; a few times, I’ve found that sometimes when I get a FAIL the first time, the second time Vagrant is able to auto-correct.

Suggestion, if you do edit the file, comment out the existing line with a hash and leave comments eg.

#  config.vm.network :forwarded_port, guest: 3000, host: 4000 # Aarrgghh doesn't work !
  config.vm.network :forwarded_port, guest: 3000, host: 8080 # maybe this will work ?

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.