Learn php / mysql

I am interested in learning how to query a db with mysql and php. I started doing the first three chapters of Kevin Yanks book “PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja” tutorial at http://www.sitepoint.com/php-amp-mysql-1-installation/ but I got to half way through Ch 3 the if example welcome7.html and welcome7.php and I could not get them to work on localhost. Up to this point all the examples worked perfectly. I also noticed that once you get to Ch 4 in the free online version there are missing sections of text on the right hand side of the page. See here http://imgur.com/EnXGW9m I am quite prepared to buy the ebook for this course but I am just wondering if anyone has an opinion on this series of tutorials. Thanks Pedro.

I am not normally prone to "premature posting " but I seem to be doing it on here lately :smiley: The example did work once I used the correct case for the name in the input box. However I am still very interested in any opinions regarding the aforementioned course / ebook

I’ve got the book and I think that it is easy to follow and written in clear English. But you do have to take my comment with I pinch of salt because I’m part of the forum staff (which simply means that I collaborate here for free but have certain obligations towards the community but you may think that I’m biased)

It is strange that there are bits and pieces missing from Chapter 4 just because you downloaded the example chapters. I never heard of this before and maybe @hawk can check on this.

I guess that if you read the first chapters, you know how the rest of the book will go so it is up to you to buy it or not

Regarding chapter 4

if you turn off CSS and can deal with the horizontal scroll the right side of the longer lines are visible.

Thanks for your response molona. Yes it does seem easy to follow and I am sure that you are offering an unbiased honest opinion :smiley:

1 Like

Mittineague - I am sure that I could handle the horizontal scroll but excuse my ignorance, but how do I turn off the css?

Edit - I worked out how to view with no page style in Firefox. I see what you mean about scroll bars - Scary :smiley: unfortunately not very conducive to trying to learn something new, but thanks anyway. I might contact Hawk at molona’s suggestion

It depends on the browser. I use a plugin for that in FF (well, it is a developer’s plugin that includes that functionality included)

What is the plugin please. I just did view > page style > no style in FF but some of the text lines stretch to 4 1/2 windows in width. I could also copy/paste it into a Word doc at a pinch

Can’t remember the name of it. Just search for the Developer toolbar. It is the most famous plugin for web developers, me thinks :slight_smile:

edit: I can’t tell you the exact name because I’m at work and FF is not the general browser. For security reason, I can’t install software without the corresponding authorization so I don’t have it at the office

Thanks I 'll have a hunt around

Do you mean this one?

I’ve used it for years and would be lost without it.

Hmmmm, strange. Where are you accessing that version? I’ll look into it.

Scroll down a bit and you’ll see the overflow hidden

Hi Hawk. I accessed that page via http://www.sitepoint.com/publishing-mysql-data-web/
If you look at the fifth code snippet for example the code is cut off at
“exit is the first example in this book of a function that can be called with no paramet”
There is only a small portion of horizontal scroll bar showing which will not allow you access the text to the right but if you click on the area that the shortened text is in and use the right arrow that whole block of code text will scroll into view. It is almost as if there is an invisible scroll box implemented :smiley: Thanks Pedro.

TechnoBear - Thanks looks good.

Ah, I see! I’ll get that sorted asap. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks a lot good work, take the day off :smiley:

Yep. The thing is that I can’t look up this type of things from work :frowning:

No work {money:none;} :smiley:

1 Like

That’s why I thought I’d help out. (Working from home has its advantages. )