Learning the art of real-time

I’m very experienced PHP developer for about 5-6 years, and I would like to learn to make real-time web-based apps.

For example. a real time battle system.
A player attacks, and the enemy HP goes down.
Then the turn goes to the enemy, and etc.

I can’t do this with PHP only, and I’m looking for a “new world” to learn.

How I can learn this things on the new era? (seem like there are many javascript libraries/alternatives out there that support more features)

You’ll probably most definitely need to learn Javascript for sure. I am assuming your intention is to build a browser game of some kind?

There is also a software, which is portable to build very complex browser games (with a plugin) called Unity3d. That might be interesting for you.

Scott

Javascript is too “general”. I want to learn new classes inside javascript, and create it in a new way and not with old methods such as “timout”.

Regards unity3d - it sounds very nice but it looks very limiting. I’m more interested in web platform (browser based game) and not in a huge 3D game available only in English.

There are ways to get real time to work in PHP. Just see this.

As Scott says, JavaScript is the way to go (seriously, forget PHP for this). I would recommend looking at something like meteor.js

Not only is Meteor entirely real-time (meaning any change to your database is automatically reflected live in the browser), but it uses JavaScript on both the client and server which means that you won’t have to juggle multiple languages and environments.

If you’re interested, there is a good introductory video here, as well as a bunch of good meteor content on SitePoint’s JS channel and we’ve got more coming soon : )

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.