Legal questions about using Wiki pics

Hi I want to use this image on my own website. Can I just copy the file and put it on my website located at Europe?
File:Emperor Clothes 01.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And regarding the United States public domain tag that’s mentioned. How am I supposed to implement it on my website, like where can/must I place it? Do you know of any example webpages that uses this tag correctly?

You must also include a United States public domain tag to indicate why this work is in the public domain in the United States.

Hi, I moved this to the business and legal issues forum, which is a better place to discuss this.

<opinion-only>
As far as I can see, this image is out of copyright and can be used. I assume that the US tag applies to those who live in / host their site in the US, but it’s an interesting question, and I look forward to the answers of those who know what they’re talking about. :slight_smile:
</opinion-only>

The copyright has expired and if you’re hosting in US then you can use it.

I dont think there will be a issue. Just my 2 cents.

But as you can see from what was originally written they are not in the US and neither is the web site they want to use it on.

The page does say that it is out of copyright in the European Union as well (and has been since 1916) - so there should be nothing to stop it being used by the OP on their site hosted in Europe. Not being in the US means the US public domain tag is not required either.

Quoting the 1846 publication date along with the picture would make it clear to anyone seeing it that it is in the public domain.

Can I do things like this?
King’s Clothes - vs°

I would say yes, although I don’t think the link is needed, but if you’re happy to have it there, it doesn’t hurt.