Lenovo G580 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD £359.98 is this any good

I am looking at buying a new laptop and I just wondered if anyone had any views on the Lenovo brand.

I have not done anything with computers for a long time and I am totally out of the loop and after loads of browsing around have seen the Lenovo G580 for the £359.98 price and it seemed a good deal.

I dont do any gaming the only thing I do mostly is a lot of batch processing images in photoshop.

Anyway any thoughts would be very welcome I think this laptop is at this price as it has windows 7 and windows 8 is due out in a few weeks.

Here is more spec

Intel Pentium dual core B950 (2.1GHZ 2MB cache)
RAM 8 GIG DDR3

Cheers

Ian

Lenovo is the new name for IBM.

I’ve just Googled it and I saw that in US is being sold for $399. Since you’re in UK, I think that the price is OK. As Europeans we have to pay the import and the VAT, a tax that they don’t pay. It looks like it is in its price range and that’s the kind of price that I would expect for a laptop with those characteristics. It looks even cheap :smiley:

Got mixed feelings about this one.
It seem to have outdated cpu (like 3-4 years old) and screen is of rather poor quality with poor resolution; but ram / hdd is ok.
As for the price you might want to look for cheaper alternatives, in our country it costs 350 usd and i am not living in north america as well. But… in the end of the day 350 pounds for a notebook isnt a whole lot anyway, so if you liked it go ahead.

Thanks for the info.

After the not to enthusiastic replies I ended up looking a little deeper into everything and ended up going to a store and when i see the lenovo I see what you mean about cheap and I also found out more about the oldish processor and a little more on what all that means.

Anyway I have now ended up with a Acer Aspire M3-581T for £388 I am yet to install all my stuff on it but am using it right now and the build quality and everything about it seems really good so far I did have to take a fair bit of bloatware off but this will suit my needs and I will get a free upgrade to windows 8 when its out next week.

For anyone interested here is the spec

Processor Intel(R) Core™ i3-2367M CPU @ 1.40GHz 5.2 5.2
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 5.9
Graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 5.3
Gaming graphics 1760 MB Total available graphics memory 6.1
Primary hard disk 251GB Free (283GB Total)

Ceers all

the one above is definitely better. gj and gl with it :slight_smile:

Still using this Acer as per above and its working perfect, I have installed photoshop and a load of other stuff and it has not affected the speed. I think i have been using such an old computer for so long anything modern would have impressed me but the build quality of this seems nice and solid, if I had to make any criticism it would be that mouse touch pad is slightly offset to the left but thats really not an issue now I have got used to it.

Anyway I have been trying to work out what GJ and GL mean and I gave up.

Cheers

=)) gj and gl is for good job and good luck

OH right yep got you :slight_smile:

Many thanks so far so good

It’s a good deal, but for what purpose it will be used?