Let's learn together with Pair Learning

In just a few days, Learnable is kicking off a month of pair learning.

Maybe you need a bit more encouragement to finish a course, or you’ve always wanted to learn with others, but at your own pace, on your own time.

For the entire month of May, we’re matching up Learnable members and offering pair learning. You’ll be amazed at how much you can learn in 30 days.

It takes just 15 seconds to sign up, so if you have a Learnable membership, register now and maybe we’ll be buddied up! If not, you can purchase your Learnable membership here :smile:

That’s a cool thing to do. Nothing better than having a mentor by your side :slight_smile:

Edit: I have a quesition… What if you do more than one couse?

I mean, let’s say that you only have a few questions about Javascript and you want to start with Ruby. Maybe pairing 30 days for Javascript can be too much. Can you pair more than once?

Good question :slight_smile:
I don’t see why not, as long as you’re committed to doing both courses! If all you need is a bit of help with JavaScript, you can always do a JS course on your own and ask one of our friendly Teacher’s Assistants for help.

Or have you considered asking a question on the SitePoint forums? :wink:

Of course, I’d use the forums! But I’m just being a bit curious. I do see a lot of potential in the idea. Basically because if you team up with someone, it is more likely that you will stay committed like it or not. If you simply rely on forums, the commitment will last as long as you want because it depends only on you. So it is a good way to follow the course till the end.

I have the feeling that you’re team up with another student who may know as much (or little) as you do.

It is not clear how to reach the Teacher’s Assistant though.

Ah, I should have clarified. When you ask a question within a Learnable course, you’ll either get a reply from another student (which is always nice!), from the teacher themselves, or from a Teacher’s Assistant. You don’t have to reach out to them specifically.

I did see the authors answering to questions in their courses.

I like the teaming up idea. Nice one.

Really glad you do :smiley: will you be doing a course? The entire SitePoint HQ is involved so you may get paired up with one of us!

I would be if there was an ember course

Then I definetely will. That would be fantastic. :smiley:

On my interest, I did the Ruby one. I have some on my list, some of them because I’m interested on how other people teach (I want to do my own course), some because I really need to refresh my web skills and a few (like Ruby) because I want to learn more.

Not yet, but there’s a bunch of other JavaScript courses or you can always try to refresh/validate your existing knowledge, or maybe an “Intro to…” something, just to be open to new possibilities and expand your frame of reference?

Well I’m signed up now. Picking a course is a little harder, but that’s entirely down to Learnable not working well in IE9 (it has layout issues), not that I don’t know what I want to do; that’s easy, JavaScript. Looks like I’ll need to do the selection from home when I can use a decent browser.

A little bit of a sideline but are you going to upgrade to Microsoft Edge? We’re live streaming the Microsoft Web Summit if you were interested in testing out your websites with their new browser and debugging in real-time with the engineers who built it.

1 Like

I saw all the hoohaa passing through Twitter last night. Depending on the timing of the stream, I’d quite like to see that. I’ve seen a very short promo video for Edge and it looks like it has some very interesting features. Proof will be in the pudding as they say…

Just another quick thought - your page on the live streaming event give times, but doesn’t say what timezone they’re in. That might just be worth adding in there.

Good point. My guess is because it is taking place live in Mountain View, California
http://devchannel.modern.ie/websummit2015
it’s PST (GMT -7)

1 Like

your guess is correct! It’s PST.

Are you sure? I just checked to see if California was in Daylight Savings time.
According to

they’re in PDT now. only an hour difference, but knowing for certain would be nice.

* I’m confused and this doesn’t even involve the International Dateline for me :exclamation:

oh dear. PDT!

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.