Link to download a file

Hi, I’m just experimenting / learning with connecting a link (image) to a file on the server that will download to your computer when you click on the image. Ive googled/youtubed for 5 hours and followed instructions to the T, (aswell as zipping the file) but can’t seem to figure out why i get “Not Found” when i click on it for download. Ive tried numerous different files / re-created page etc.

Using Dreamweaver CS6, I’ve attached screenshots of the code/page/error, thanks for you help in advance!

Hi dizzy578, and welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

At first glance, I can’t see a problem with your code, but I’m very tired, so I might be missing something. :slight_smile:

Have you checked the filename is absolutely correct, and is your zip file definitely in the Uploads folder? (That might sound patronising, but it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve saved something to the wrong place and then wondered why things don’t work. :rolleyes:) I presume the filepath to Uploads is correct, because otherwise your image wouldn’t show.

Have you tested in more than one browser?

[ot]I notice you have the “alt” attribute on your image set to “nonstop”. The purpose of alt(ernative) text is to provide information if the image is unavailable for some reason; for example, if the user is visually impaired and using a screen reader, or simply if the image fails to load for some reason. In this case, the image forms a link, so you want that to be functional whether or not the image is displayed. “nonstop” doesn’t convey much; “Download Non-stop mp4”, or something similar, is much more helpful, because it explains what happens if you activate the link.

You might find this article on alternative text helpful: http://webaim.org/techniques/alttext/
[/ot]

Are you sure that the path is right?

I ask because your path seems to be “…/Uploads” but I can see in the picture that you have to folders (one it looks to Uploads and the other may have something to do with publishing, I don’t know)

If you html is kept in the root folder, you may target to “/Uploads”

Also be careful to use the proper case, some OS (I would say most) are case sensitive.

A third word of caution would be for the use of dots. Although many OS allow this, it is not good practice

You might try using direct path like C:\PICTURES\UPLOADS\ZippedFile.zip or http://www.domain.org/upload/zippedfile.zip

I agree with peter, try changing the relative path and use absolute path to the zip file and see if that will work.

As the OP has never returned, it seems pointless to keep guessing at possible solutions without any feedback.

Thread closed.