Local modular browser?

I am working on a project to develop an interface for managing and viewing my data. I have various websites and online resources I need quick links to. I also have a lot of local files in different locations which I need quick access to.

So I thought a webpage would be the perfect solution. I can have quick links to all my online and local assets and customize the interface with custom buttons, making browsing easier.

What’s wrong with my browser’s bookmarks and my operating system’s explorer you wonder… well both of them involve navigating through multiple layers of folders -which I won’t have to do if I have all my buttons on one page. I also plan to display text files on the page and perform calculations which I thought php would be a perfect option for.

My problem is, most browsers seem to turn off local file/folder browsing for security reasons. I know there are workarounds, but I am left wondering if an online browser is really the best platform to develop my interface… perhaps I should build an application in C++ instead?

If anyone has any suggestions which would be best (hijacking a browser’s interface or building an application from scratch) I would like to hear. Also if anyone knows of any plugins or sources to make either of these quicker I would be grateful.

I never intend to upload this interface online, it will be on my local machine only. Although it would be nice to have all my computers and phone networked so I could share the interface and my files and have them automatically back up accross system etc… but this is a more advanced feature I am not anywhere near yet.

I have set up a new virtual website for my local apache server and I can link to files within the specified root directory, for example text files, but if I set up a folder in that directory and try and browse to it on the page, I get the forbidden, permission to access denied on this server. I am trying to access it using
<a href=“http://virtualsite/folder”>link</a>

I want to be able to open the folder in windows explorer via a link on the webpage.

I am not sure if setting up my local virtual host was done in the same way you set up your internal server and virtual directory. I have basically set up the equivelant of creating a local host website. Is what you have set up more elaborate?

For myself, I have an internal-only apache server and I made the top of my harddrive a virtual directory to apache so I can browse/link to any file via a http://<lanserver>/ url and not worry about the file:/// restrictions. And I use a php application called ‘online bookmarks’ to keep bookmarks. This works for me but if you’re in a shared environment you might want to think twice about exposing your entire filesystem to a browser.