Local SEO for two businesses with one phone number

Hi
I run two very different businesses. It is much more convenient for me to use the same landline number for both but could that harm my local SEO? If so I can use a mobile number for one of them but I don’t think it looks quite as professional.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

What I think is that if you really are asking this question, it means that you’re a bit too obsessed with SEO.

5 Likes

Why not just use a Google Voice number for one of the businesses?

Hi,
For local SEO use of same landline number for two business is not good. If you used mobile number for one of the business does affect the Google Ranking, but it would be looking odd. As a customer the listing have local landline number i prefer first.

I’d say that whether a mobile number is preferable to a landline number depends entirely on the business. If you’re looking for a plumber or an electrician who is likely to be out and about most of the day, a mobile number might well be more practical.

In terms online marketing and business listing, You must have two different phone number for different businesses, Because people get confuse if you provide two different services with same number.

I think it would be OK for different Departments within the same business as long as the numbers had Extensions. eg.

Support 123-4567 ext 23
New 123-4567 ext 14

If you’re using the same number for two businesses, another question would be “What do you say when you answer the phone?”

If somebody rings up what they expect to be a painter and decorator, and the phone is answered with “Good morning - Fluffy Dog Grooming Services”, that could be really confusing. But if both are small, one-person businesses (as happens a good deal in my area) and you’re just answering the phone with your name, then I don’t see a problem.

But that’s rather off-topic, given that you’ve asked about SEO.

I’d think about what is most convenient and cost-effective for both you and your customers and go with that. Any effect on SEO is likely to be negligible. FWIW, my husband runs two businesses from the same number and I’ve never noticed any ill-effects.

I agree with @LaurenH. Google voice is a very simple option that allows you to send all calls to 1 phone and have 2 numbers.

In terms of local SEO (assuming your business requires local people find you), having the same number for 2 businesses that do different things is a very bad idea.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.