Locating an array in the DOM with JQuery

Hey guys,

In my HTML, I have an input text form array ‘name’.

I was just wondering if there’s an easy way to identify all name elements in the DOM using a JQuery selector? (i.e. one that knows I’ve given it an array)

Much thanks,

Bardi

Thanks very much ScallioXTX - that did work :slight_smile:

$( ‘input[name^=child_width\\’ )

does work

No idea why $( ‘:text[name^=child_width\\’ ) doesn’t work
The manual says

“$(‘:text’) is equivalent to $(‘[type=text]’)”

So, $( ‘:text[name^=child_width\\’ ) should be equivalent to $( ‘[type=text][name^=child_width\\’ ), and as it turns out that does work :confused:

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Is there a way I can ask for it to locate all child_width array form elements?

For example, $(‘:text[name=child_width\\[0\\]]’) will only return the child_width[0] element.

Whereas, $(“:text[name^=child_width]”) finds all form elements that begin with ‘child_width’, possibly resulting in the identification of unnecessary elements.

And, if I was to name all elements of the array without defining their index in the HTML (i.e. child_width[]), I lose the ability to identify a specific array element and pair it with another linked array element of the same index. For example, when I loop through all child_width elements, I want to also access a child_width_min element of the currently iterated index.

In other words, what I’m asking is if there is a way to ask for all elements of an array of a certain name. For example, $( ‘:text[name^=child_width\\[]’ ) i.e. all elements that begin with ‘child_width[’ which would in theory return all of the array’s elements ONLY. This didn’t work, so I’m hoping there’s a correct way to ask for this…?

Much thanks for your help and patience so far.

You were asking for name and now you’re using name[0], name[1], so of course my code doesn’t work.

You should use $(‘:text[name=child_width\\[0\\]]’), $(‘:text[name=child_width\\[1\\]]’), etc

Or $(“:text[name^=child_width]”)

Okay, haven’t had much luck with this. These are my html array form elements:

<input type="text" value="200" class="input-width_small valid" name="child_width[0]" id="child_width[0]">

<input type="text" value="200" class="input-width_small valid"  name="child_width[1]" id="child_width[1]">

And I tried using your suggestion in my JS:

$(':text[name=child_width\\\\[\\\\]]').each( function( index ) {
   alert('hi');
});

No alert prompts were displayed. I also tried removing the ‘:text’ bit but that didn’t seem to make any difference either.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong here? Is the selector looking for matches of ‘child_width’ in the DOM and thus failing to stop any because they already have indexes?

Many thanks.

What if there’s a group of elements such as name[0], name[1], name[2] etc. and I would like to select them all so that I could go through them one by one using the each loop? I know how I’d be able to achieve that by using $([id^=name]) to select them but I want to avoid using this method as I’m assuming there’s a better way to achieve this.

$(“:text[name=name\\[\\]]”)

I didn’t quite understand your question, but selecting all elements with a name should look like
var res = $(“[name=thename”);

where thename is the name of the input…