Looking for a good beginners book

I started Visual Basic.net in school this semester and I really do not like the book. It is an interesting class but I think they could have selected a better book. Can anyone recommend a good book for beginners that I can use as a supplement? Any on line tutorials will also be appreciated. The book I am using is Microsoft VB. Net Programming. This semester is over and I did pass but I have a more advanced class next semester and would like to brush up a little more before next semester starts.

Thank you.

Out of curiosity, are you having trouble with the language itself or with the thought process used to solve a given problem (for example, taking the problem and figuring out what steps you need to write to solve it)?

When I was tutoring students in college, more often than not, the student wasn’t have problems with the language, but the thought process. Just want to make sure I look for a book that fits.

The way the book is written is that when it shows examples it only shows part of the instructions or steps. It relies on the student to utilize previous instructions to complete the example. I do not think my problem is with the understanding the language but making sure I include all the instructions to perform the operation. I do not think this book gives good examples unless it is just me. I do not hate it as I am interested in what I am writing and how it can solve certain tasks. I just do not want to get too frustrated because that will affect learning it.

Oh okay. So really if you had a book that “may still do what you describe” but also provided the full code samples in a CD or downloadable, would that fit your requirements?

Most of the books I’ve read do similar practices, they show you chunks at a time and you have to enter them in the correct order.

Yes, I am just looking for something that gives full examples until I at least get a good understanding of what instructions need to be written.

I haven’t personally used the VB.NET versions of this author, but I enjoyed the Java version while in College, so maybe they will help. They do come with CDs of the code samples and within the chapters, the code is broken up, not shown all together (but at least the CDs can help you with that).

I would start with going to the local library first to see if they have these books, and shuffle through them before buying, or to a Barnes and Noble. I like to tell people to at least read the first few pages of a chapter or two to ensure their writing style also fits you.

you can have the tutorials at microsoft site / otherwise go for .net self placed guide it will be best for you…

Rick, as mentioned, there are several good sites available to help you along the way. There are several great books as well. I remember how daunting this was when I first began, so my recommendation is not to limit yourself to one venue or volume. Partially because we all learn differently, and partially because not all sources are created equal. Get as much information as you can. Where one source is rich in basic coding, another may have better insight into the design process.

In the meantime, I would suggest taking a look at the following volume. It would seem to satisfy your requirements for now. Happy coding!

P.S. I remember taking a class many years back and one thing that helped me was taking a small netbook (smaller than a laptop) around with me, so I could have a personal version of my test code with me at all times. This way, I could compare what I was doing, with what was presented.

Thank you for the help everyone. I did find at few at the library but wanted to get some input on a good book so I can request one that will be helpful. I live near a major university and the state library so I have the resources to locate a good book.

@Rick, Columbus is nice. I just moved there in December of 2011 and my wife and I are really enjoying it. Hopefully the libraries around have a few of the books listed above.