Looking for a workhorse-type laptop

My company has given me the choice to use a Windows desktop or laptop. I am leaning towards a laptop because of the flexibility - I can continue to work on projects when I’m off the clock.

I might have to provide the IT department with specifications for a laptop that is suitable for web development and graphic design. What are your recommendations? For example, is 15.6 inch a decent size for a laptop?

I would be more concerned about RAM and disk size and how long it can operate without a charge.

But I guess technology has improved a lot since I last checked out what was available and it depends on how you anticipate you’ll be using it.

I would choose desktop just so i COULDN"T work off the clock - you have to be careful of burning yourself out and giving time for yourself. Draw a line somewhere.

2 Likes

The only issue I might have with a laptop for graphic design is the colours looking funny when viewing the screen at an angle.

1 Like

I agree with @Mittineague about drawing the line and not burning yourself out (it happens more often than you might think.)

Conversely, ASUS makes some pretty sick laptops. One line even has an internal OS if you need to browse the web but don’t want to wait for the laptop to boot - you can press a button and have a browser available in seconds, if the laptop is powered off. Sweet. And it comes crammed full of RAM with a fast bus speed. BUT, there’s always a trade-off. The thing weighs a ton!

V/r,

:slight_smile:

lenovo is a workhorse. Serious lasting power. Using hp now and it also doing well.
I’d get a laptop so you can wfh &/or where ever.
Nice to get that option.
D

I agree with RyanReese… get a desktop unless you can work from home. As for web development in terms of coding then even $300~500 laptop will do. One thing I’ll strongly recommend is to get SSD since you’ll be restarting the web server many times. The priority should be

CPU - Any i7 chip
SSD - At least 128 gig
Memory - 6 gig

I don’t know what kind of graphic design you do but if you’re not doing any kind of video editing then you don’t need a dedicated video card. For the display size, bigger the better. Chances are you’ll probably connect to dual external monitors… I can’t imagine doing development w/o dual monitor.