Looking For Freedom From All In One SEO Pack

Sitepoint,
I want to deactivate all in one seo pack, but when I do, the title, description, and keywords of my home page disappear. I would put the title, description, and keywords into their fields in wordpress but, when all in one seo pack is deactivated the fileds are not there in wordpress for the home page nor any of my pages. I’ve looked and looked.

Thanks,

Chris

I’ve never hired a programmer, I like writing code myself too much and time is not an issue.

You could try the Marketplace I suppose.

But I still think if you start a new thread something like “How can I use Custom Fields for meta description/keyword content?” someone will come along to help.

Mittineague,
I understand wp-admin/options.php to mean any of the different choices on the left under Settings (in wordpress). If so, wouldn’t anything in there apply to all the pages?

Thanks,

Chris

AFAIK there still isn’t a menu link to the page - kind of like an “Easter Egg” - but if you go to your wp-admin/options.php page I think there will be a field there where you can enter it.

lol, it would be nice if there was one for everything already “built in”.

As it is - I’ve never counted - there’s got to be over a hundred of them http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Filter_Reference

But I’d still bet the “custom fields” is the answer. Have you looked into that?

Mittineague,
Here’s something I found that’s interesting,
"It is important for website developers to understand that a default installation of WordPress does not contain the description and keywords meta tag data. Meta tags can be added manually, through changes to the Theme template files or through WordPress Plugins. " http://codex.wordpress.org/Meta_Tags_in_WordPress

Toward the end of the page I found,
"To get more sophisticated, you can add a conditional tag query that asks “If this is a single post view, show the post title; if this is a multi-post view, show the blog name and description.” The conditional tag query looks like this:

<meta name=“description” content=“<?php if ( is_single() ) {
single_post_title(‘’, true);
} else {
bloginfo(‘name’); echo " - “; bloginfo(‘description’);
}
?>” />”

I’ll see what I can work out with this. Woprdpress really should have the description tag in by default.

Chris

Mittineague,
If. Fortunately it’s not. You know on that site when I had those files installed, google showed the 7th most common term for the site was “all-in-one-seo-pack”. That’s got to be hard on SEO on small sites.

Chris

Mittineague, DrewryMedia,
You know what it may be - it may be I never learned how to add a title and description to a wordpress page (with out the all in one seo pack pluin plugged in). I noticed that when I plugged in the all in one plugin that the fileds for tilte and description were there at the bottom of the the wordpress editor for the home page under the heading “All in one SEO pack”.

So if you have no plugins, and you are writing your first page (not post) of a fresh wordpress plugin, how do you ad a title and description so the title and description will show up as meta tags. Don’t forget the title and description for each page will be different, so the blog title and tagline fields in general won’t help because they are applied to all the posts and pages. You also can’t use typed in meta tags in header.php because that will also apply to all of the pages and posts.

Thanks,

Chris

Mittineague,
That strategy is a good idea, but I don’t have any other plugins for the site. I reinstalled all in one seo pack and the title shows on the home page. Do you think there’s a setting in all in one seo pack that has to be turned on before deactivating or removing all in one seo pack?

Chris

Mittineague, DrewryMedia,
I went to the library. On IE, when you visit the home page the first time the correct title appears at the to of the browser. But the home page title at the top of the browser every time after the first visits shows the web address as the title, and the title of all the other pages come up fine every time. So I would guess in some way there’s a problem with the home page - maybe lack of the plugin, meaning all in one seo pack maybe created this problem.

Chris

No other plugins? Seems unusual but I guess that’s because I have quite a few.

I deactivated my aiosp and went to New Page and got this

AFAIK the Title should show as the page’s title both in the page and the browser title bar. If you go to Edit Page does it show titles?

The description using Custom Fields is a bit trickier. The codex page I found doesn’t use it for a meta tag in the head, http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Custom_Fields but I’m guessing there’s a way to do so.

As for putting the code into the templates, as long as you do it right WordPress will use the right stuff like it does for every other reused template file.

Clarification:
In FF private browsing, the title of the home page doesn’t come up, but all the other pages work fine in private browsing.

Chris

O, I see what you’re saying now. I think that happened to me in the past. The author of the plug in had written it some kind of way that, when you try to delete it from the server, it won’t because they did some tricky stuff to force you to keep the plug in on the server, so they can get a link from you…

Perhaps you need to remove it instead of just deactivating it.

Mittineague,
In the header.php code I replaced
<title><?php wp_title() ?></title>
with your
<title><?php /* wp_title( ‘-’, true, ‘right’ ); echo wp_specialchars( get_bloginfo(‘name’), 1 ) */ ?></title>
and I still have the same problem - all it says at the top of the browser is “Mozilla Firefox”

Thanks,

Chris

Mitt,
I started a new thresd with the title you suggested.

Thanks,

Chris

Sorry, I guess I take it for granted that others can “read” code like I can. The code snippet you posted roughly translates to

If the page is a single post, use its title:
in the meta description. Otherwise (if more than one posts are on the page) use the blog name and blog description:
bloginfo(‘name’); echo " - "; bloginfo(‘description’);

So if you want the “page description” in the meta tag, then yes, it will need to be done a different way.

Mitteneague,
Would you agree that if for the the header.php of my wordpress theme I have
<title><?php wp_title() ?></title>
<link rel=“stylesheet” href=“/aa.css” type=“text/css” media=“all” />
<link rel=“shortcut icon” href=“/favicon.ico” />
<?php wp_head(); ?></head><?php flush() ?>

That when all in one seo pack is installed it’s providing the code for title, description, keywords and the text that goed into the code it got from the wordpres editor where I enetered the text. So when I remove the plugin, my header.ph doesn’t have description and keywords so they won’t appear in the wordpress editor. But that doesn’t explain the lack of the title at the top of the browser (and in view>source) which is in the header.php file.

Thanks,

Chris77

Mittineague,
Looks like I gotta get a programmer. All I want is individual descriptions and sets of keywords for each page. How much should I pay for something like that. What company do you like?

Thanks,

Chris

Mittineague,
I put
<meta name=“description” content=“<?php if ( is_single() ) {
} else {
bloginfo(‘name’); echo " - “; bloginfo(‘description’);
}
?>” />”

into header.php. It creates " <meta name=“description” content=" - " /> " in view source. Have any ideas where I enter the actual description for each of the pages? I don’t think it’s through custom fields. Shouldn’t they (the descriptions) be somewhere from all in one seo pack

Thanks,

Chris