Looking For Freedom From All In One SEO Pack

Mittineague,
I removd the plugin folder from the site and after there was no title, description, keywords field for any of the wordpress pages. I reloaded the plugin and the title, description, and keywords fields show for each of the pages. Do you think once you have All in one you can’t go back?

Chris

Mittineague, DrewryMedia,
Mittineague fixed the title with
<title><?php wp_title() ?></title>
to fix the missing description why not
<description><?php wp_description() ?></description>
Is wp_description() a real command are there other description commands?

Thanks,

Chris

Mittineague,
How do I add a new custom filed? I see in you image the drop down showing “description”. I used the add new field function and typed in “description” not expecting anything to happen and description is there now in the drop down and for the home page for description I put in “test” but test doesn’t show anywhere. I think this may be a core problem becuase I activated a default template and “description” was there but that was the “description” I just added - there were no default custom filed and what was also there was the custom fields that were programmed for me a while back - topleft and topright.

Thanks,

Chris

I have aiosp 1.5.6

I can’t see that it messes with the core “name” option value so I don’t think it wiped that out.

I do see that it doesn’t clean up after itself with a “deactivate” function, but I don’t see how that could be causing your problem. If anything that would leave orphaned options in your wp_options table.

I looked for the “silly soft” theme at wordpress.org extend but couldn’t find it, so I don’t know if it has more to do with the theme (i.e. a functions file) than it does with wordpress or the aiosp plugin.

If your blog is in English or you don’t mind reading English all the translation files are unnecessary. But if you want to work in another language they’re a big help.

Imagine if the default language of WordPress was something like Chinese. I bet you would be glad to have a all_in_one_seo_pack-en_US.mo file then :wink:

Mittineague,
You know I probably lost som of that sort of title coding when I deleted the comments file from the theme. Thanks for the help, you definitely got me halfway. The reason I avoid plugins is becuase they slow down the loading of my site. I’m tired of having to baby sit all in one seo pack; I just found out all of their 20 .mo files are unnecessary.

Thanks,

Chris

Mittineague, Silly Soft,
My theme has the line <title><?php wp_title() ?></title> and when I remove the plugin the title doesn’t show at the top of the browser. So for the moment there’s no need to put in a correspondng line for the description; becuase the line for the title isn’t even working when I remove the plugin. Have any idea why the title code won’t work?

Thanks,

Chris

IMHO the WordPress translations should be better than Yahoo or Google because they are made by humans. True, it depends on how good a job they do, but I think a person that is fluent in both languages can restructure a sentence, use the correct tense, etc. better than an algorithm can - at least at the present time.

Try an experiment.

Use the translator to change an English sentence to another language.
Copy that
Use the translator to change that back to English

Are they the same? Has anything been lost and is it less clear?

Mittineague,
I’m not sure wordpress can translate as good as google and yahoo? If not, why would anyone bother. Wouldn’t it be even more difficult for google and yahoo to correct translation errors? If google and yahoo are better, what if someone prefers their translation becuase they found them to work the best so many times before but they only have the already-wordpress-translated text, especially if the wordpress translation text is wrong or unreadable?

Chris

wp_title() gets the “blog name” but the_title() gets the page/post “title”.

I guess in blogs that have posts wp_title() is the preferred choice. But where you are using it more as a CMS for pages only, the_title() should work OK.

I’ve never used custom fields so except for pointing to the codex I can’t really help much.

DrewryMedia,
The plugin was already gone from the wordpress editor, but it appeared to still be on the site when looking from the sever (signed into my webhost account), so I deleted it. Still though, in the wordpress editor there’s no field for title and description and keywords like you see when all in one seo pack is installed. And there’s no title at the top of the browser.

Thanks,

Chris

Mitt,
Were gaining ground. I forgor about custom fileds. Ok I’ll figure out how to ad description there - ithink someohow I do it in php admin at my webhost. BUT, I do have a title in the top field - even when the plug is deactivated, yet it doesn’t show. I’ll let you into my wordpress for the site later on.

Chris

There’s a possibility that there’s a conflict being caused by another plugin that aisop “fixed” while it was active.

I know its a PITA but you could try deactivating all your plugins to see if its then OK. If it is, reactivate them one-by-one (or in small batches) until it breaks again until you pinpoint the problem plugin.

delete the entire plug from your wp-plug ins on your server. go into wp-content, wp-plug ins, look for Allin1SEO, and then hit the delete button. Let me know how that works out for you

Something New:
I called my webhost and they say the title is coming up fine at the top of the browser for them. If I use private browsing on Fire Fox the title shows at the top of the browser, but when I turn private browsing off, the title won’t show.

I typed in some letters into blog tilte and tagline but they don’t show in normal browsing.

I’m going to go to the local library and see what I find.

Thanks,

Chris

I see what you mean. For the home page the mark-up is

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
<head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<title></title>

so for some reason get_bloginfo(‘name’) isn’t working or it’s empty.

The post titles work OK

If you go to “Settings” i.e. wp-admin/options-general.php
you should see a list of General Settings the first of which is Site Title
is that empty? If so try adding your site title and Save Changes

Check that your theme has those tags. Mine only has

<title><?php /* wp_title( '-', true, 'right' ); echo wp_specialchars( get_bloginfo('name'), 1 ) */ ?></title>

The plugin adds
<meta name=“description”
<meta name=“keywords”
<link rel=“canonical”

S.S.,
I thought I tried that. I’ll try it again.

Chris