Loop INSERT

Can’t seem to get this to work. Trying to get have multiple rows inserted. No error message, insert last record only. I have also tried foreach and do while, still only getting last record. BTW, the last values in the query insert but via some variable I did not show here, but still only the last record.

The array

<?php  $postarray=array("$_POST[qnt]","$_POST[type]","$_POST[mfg]","$_POST[model]","$_POST[model_num]","$_POST[descrip]","$_POST[msrp]");?>

The loop with query

for ($i=0; $i < count($postarray);$i++) {

$query_Recordset3 = "INSERT INTO temporder ( cust, store_num, qnt, type, mfg, model, model_num, descrip, price, po) VALUES ('$cust','$store_num','$_POST[qnt]','$_POST[type]','$mfg','$model','$model_num','$descrip','$price','$po') ";
}

Anyone be able to see where I’m going wrong

for starters, it looks like you’re issuing one INSERT statement per row to be inserted

much better would be to issue a single INSERT statement for all the rows being inserted

Then for seconds, you are only building the query in your loop, you aren’t executing it within your loop. So that means you are executing it outside of the loop, which would result in the last query to be executed only.

Two ways to solve this, one move the execution of the query into the for loop (take the hit that each query is executed individually).
Or change your for loop to build multiple INSERT commands like below and leave the execution of your query outside of the for loop (notice I change = to .=, and I added a semi-colon to the end of the query.

$query_Recordset3 = '';
      for ($i=0; $i < count($postarray);$i++) { 

$query_Recordset3 .= "INSERT INTO temporder ( cust, store_num, qnt, type, mfg, model, model_num, descrip, price, po) VALUES ('$cust','$store_num','$_POST[qnt]','$_POST[type]','$mfg','$model','$model_num','$descrip','$price','$po'); "; 
}  

cpradio

Thanks for your reply. I tried your edited version but received a syntax error. I tried a number of variations using your advice but was not able to get it to work.

I’m not sure what is wrong with my logic. The loop works, the query works, missing something.

r937

Thanks for the reply, but have not found anything that would connect your reply to the solution. Could you be more specific?

Gary

sure :slight_smile:

generating one INSERT statement for each row will produce the following:

INSERT INTO [I]table [/I]( [I]list,of,columns[/I] ) VALUES ( [I]list,of,values[/I] );
INSERT INTO [I]table [/I]( [I]list,of,columns[/I] ) VALUES ( [I]list,of,values[/I] );

which is okay as far as it goes, but it’s less efficient than this –

INSERT INTO [I]table [/I]( [I]list,of,columns[/I] ) VALUES 
( [I]list,of,values[/I] ) , ( [I]list,of,values[/I] ) , ( [I]list,of,values[/I] ) , ( [I]list,of,values[/I] ) ...;

er… no. That’s not the way to build a multiple-insert query.

You’re thinking more like this…

$query_Recordset3 = "INSERT INTO temporder ( cust, store_num, qnt, type, mfg, model, model_num, descrip, price, po) VALUES ";
   foreach($_POST['entry'] AS $postvar) {
     $query_Recordset3 .= "('".$postvar['cust']."','".$postvar['store_num']."','".$postvar['qnt']."','".$postvar['type']."','".$postvar['mfg']."','".$postvar['model']."','".$postvar['model_num']."','".$postvar['descrip']."','".$postvar['price']."','".$postvar['po']."'),"; 
}  
$query_Recordset3 = substr($query_Recordset3,0,-1); // get rid of trailing comma, since we cant use implode

Though from the look of your code, i think your form needs redesigning.

Hi,

Do you know a way to bind values to this way of doing things or do you just escape them yourself?

Regards,
Steve

Starlion

Thank you for your detailed reply. After trying a number of different variations I am unable to get it to work. The results I’m sure are telling. In the first row, the result was ‘7’, which is the quantity I entered for the last record. The next results were the first letter only of the records. This is the current variant of the code.

$postvar=array("$cust", "$store_num","$_POST[qnt]","$_POST[type]","$_POST[mfg]","$_POST[model]","$_POST[model_num]","$_POST[descrip]","$_POST[msrp]");

$query_Recordset3 = "INSERT INTO temporder ( cust, store_num, qnt, type, mfg, model, model_num, descrip, price, po) VALUES ";

foreach($_POST  as $postvar) {
     $query_Recordset3 .= "('".$postvar['cust']."','".$postvar['store_num']."','".$postvar['qnt']."','".$postvar['type']."','".$postvar['mfg']."','".$postvar['model']."','".$postvar['model_num']."','".$postvar['descrip']."','".$postvar['price']."','".$postvar['po']."'),";
}

$query_Recordset3 = substr($query_Recordset3,0,-1); // get rid of trailing comma, since we cant use implode
$Recordset3 = mysql_query($query_Recordset3, $szabo) or die(mysql_error());
$row_Recordset3 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset3);
$totalRows_Recordset3 = mysql_num_rows($Recordset3);

Again I am still perplexed why my original logic did not work.

Thank you

Gary

nope, neither

sorry, i don’t do php

i know what it should be generating, that’s all :slight_smile:

r937

I see your logic, it is the looping of the (list,of,values) that is eluding me.

Gary

I need to see your form HTML before i can help further.

This is the complete [sanitized] form page. The form is created dynamically. I will include the result page below.

The form is created from a query selected rows from an individual customer table. When they execute a new table is created ‘temporder’, the information is inserted then queried back in the query that we have been working on.

<?php session_start();?>
<?php require_once('Connections/*******.php'); ?>
<?php require_once( "WA_SecurityAssist/Helper_PHP.php" ); ?>
<?php
if (!WA_Auth_RulePasses("Logged in to company")){
	WA_Auth_RestrictAccess("company_LogIn.php");
}

if (!function_exists("GetSQLValueString")) {
function GetSQLValueString($theValue, $theType, $theDefinedValue = "", $theNotDefinedValue = "") 
{
  $theValue = get_magic_quotes_gpc() ? stripslashes($theValue) : $theValue;

$theValue = function_exists("mysql_real_escape_string") ? mysql_real_escape_string($theValue) : mysql_escape_string($theValue);

switch ($theType) {
    case "text":
      $theValue = ($theValue != "") ? "'" . $theValue . "'" : "NULL";
      break;    
    case "long":
    case "int":
      $theValue = ($theValue != "") ? intval($theValue) : "NULL";
      break;
    case "double":
      $theValue = ($theValue != "") ? "'" . doubleval($theValue) . "'" : "NULL";
      break;
    case "date":
      break;
    case "defined":
      $theValue = ($theValue != "") ? $theDefinedValue : $theNotDefinedValue;
      break;
  }
  return $theValue;
}
}

mysql_select_db($database_szabo, $szabo);
$query_Recordset11 = "SELECT company.id, company.name FROM company WHERE id =$_SESSION[id]";
$Recordset11 = mysql_query($query_Recordset11, $szabo) or die(mysql_error());
$row_Recordset11 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset11);
$totalRows_Recordset11 = mysql_num_rows($Recordset11);

$cust = $row_Recordset11 ['name'];
$cust=str_replace(' ', '', $cust);
$cust = strtolower($cust);
$query_Recordset22 = "SELECT * FROM $cust WHERE  model  IS NOT NULL";
$Recordset22 = mysql_query($query_Recordset22, $szabo) or die(mysql_error());
$row_Recordset22 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset22);
$totalRows_Recordset22 = mysql_num_rows($Recordset22);
?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<style type="text/css">

body	{
	margin:0px;	
	}
h1, h2, h3, h4,h5	{
	}
th	{
	width:80px;}
#orderform	{
	width:800px;
	margin:0px auto;}
.center	{
	text-align:center;
	}
</style>
</head>

<body>
<?php
$_SESSION['type']= $row_Recordset22['type'];

?>

<div id="orderform">
<h2><?php echo $row_Recordset11['name']; ?>  Order Form</h2>
<form action="szabo-confirmation.php" method="post" name="result" id="result">

<?php 
echo '<table>';
echo '<th>'.'Quantity'.'</td>'.  '<th>'.'Type'.'</td>'.  '<th>'.'Manufacturer'.'</td>'.  '<th>'.'Model'.'</td>'.  '<th>'.'Model Number'.'</td>'.  '<th>'.'Description'.'</td>'. '<th>'.'Price'.'</td>';
do{

echo '<tr><td>'.'<input type="text" id="qnt" name="qnt" size="5" >'. '</td>';
echo '<td>'.'<input type="text" id="type" name="type" size="20"  readonly="readonly" value = '."$row_Recordset22[type]".' >'.'</td>';
echo '<td>'.'<input type="text" id="mfg" name ="mfg" size="20"  readonly="readonly" value = '."$row_Recordset22[mfg]".' >'.'</td>';
echo '<td>'.'<input type="text" id="model" name="model"  size="20"  readonly="readonly" value = '."$row_Recordset22[model]".' >'.'</td>';
echo '<td>'.'<input type="text" id="model_num" name="model_num" size="20"  readonly="readonly" value = '."$row_Recordset22[model_num]".' >'.'</td>';
echo '<td>'.'<input type="text" id="descrip" size="20" name="descrip"  readonly="readonly" value = '."$row_Recordset22[descrip]".' >'.'</td>';
echo '<td>'.'<input type="text" id="msrp" name="msrp" size="20"  readonly="readonly" value = '."$row_Recordset22[msrp]".' >'.'</td>';

/*echo '<td>' '</td>';*/
echo '</tr>';

}

while($row_Recordset22 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset22));
echo '</table>';

echo '<h2>'."$row_Recordset22[type]".'</h2>';
?>
<input name="submit" type="submit" value="Submit for Confirmation" />
</form>
</div>
</body>
</html>
<?php
mysql_free_result($Recordset11);

mysql_free_result($Recordset22);
?>

The results page

<?php session_start();?>
<?php require_once(‘Connections/*******.php’); ?>

<?php
if (!function_exists(“GetSQLValueString”)) {
function GetSQLValueString($theValue, $theType, $theDefinedValue = “”, $theNotDefinedValue = “”)
{

$theValue = function_exists(“mysql_real_escape_string”) ? mysql_real_escape_string($theValue) : mysql_escape_string($theValue);

switch ($theType) {
case “text”:
$theValue = ($theValue != “”) ? “'” . $theValue . “'” : “NULL”;
break;
case “long”:
case “int”:
$theValue = ($theValue != “”) ? intval($theValue) : “NULL”;
break;
case “double”:
$theValue = ($theValue != “”) ? “'” . doubleval($theValue) . “'” : “NULL”;
break;
case “date”:
$theValue = ($theValue != “”) ? “'” . $theValue . “'” : “NULL”;
break;
case “defined”:
$theValue = ($theValue != “”) ? $theDefinedValue : $theNotDefinedValue;
break;
}
return $theValue;
}
}
?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC “-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN” “http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd”>
<html xmlns=“http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml”>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=“Content-Type” content=“text/html; charset=utf-8” />
<style type=“text/css”>

body {
}
h1, h2, h3, h4,h5 {
}
td {
text-align:center;}
.center {
}
</style>
</head>

<body>
<?php

@$qnt = $_POST[‘qnt’];
@$type = $_POST[‘type’];
@$mfg = $_POST[‘mfg’];
@$model = $_POST[‘model’];
@$model_num = $_POST[‘model_num’];
@$descrip = $_POST[‘descrip’];
@$msrp = $_POST[‘msrp’];
@$price = $qnt * $msrp;
@$po=$_POST[‘po’];
?>
<?php
$qry=mysql_query( "CREATE TABLE temporder LIKE orders ");

$query_Recordset1 = “SELECT company.name, company.store_num FROM company WHERE company.id =$_SESSION[id]”;
$Recordset1 = mysql_query($query_Recordset1, $szabo) or die(mysql_error());

$totalRows_Recordset1 = mysql_num_rows($Recordset1);

@$cust = “$row_Recordset1[name]”;
@$store_num = “$row_Recordset1[store_num]”;

///////below are some of the variations of the loop I have been working on, currently i have the 2 loops and getting the same results////////////
/*
foreach($_POST as $key => $value)
{*/

/* for ($i=1; $i < count($postarray);$i++) {/
/
$vd=var_dump($postarray);
$postex = explode(’ ',$vd);
foreach ($postex as &$value){ /
/
foreach($_POST as $postarray) {

$query_Recordset3 = " INSERT INTO temporder ( qnt, type, mfg, model, model_num, descrip, price) VALUES (‘$postarray[qnt]’,‘$postarray[type]’,‘$postarray[mfg]’,‘$postarray[model]’,‘$postarray[model_num]’,‘$postarray[descrip]’,‘$postarray[msrp]’) ";

}*/
$postvar=array(“$cust”, “$store_num”,“$_POST[qnt]”,“$_POST[type]”,“$_POST[mfg]”,“$_POST[model]”,“$_POST[model_num]”,“$_POST[descrip]”,“$_POST[msrp]”);

for ($i=0; $i &lt; count($postvar);$i++) {

foreach($_POST as $postvar) {

}

}
$row_Recordset3 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset3);
$totalRows_Recordset3 = mysql_num_rows($Recordset3);

$query_Recordset2 = “SELECT * FROM temporder WHERE qnt IS NOT NULL”;
$Recordset2 = mysql_query($query_Recordset2, $szabo) or die(mysql_error());
$row_Recordset2 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset2);
$totalRows_Recordset2 = mysql_num_rows($Recordset2);

echo ‘<table cellspacing =“6” align=“center”>’;
echo ‘<tr><th>’.‘Quantity’.‘</td>’. ‘<th>’.‘Type’.‘</td>’. ‘<th>’.‘Manufacturer’.‘</td>’. ‘<th>’.‘Model’.‘</td>’. ‘<th>’.‘Model Number’.‘</td>’. ‘<th>’.‘Description’.‘</td>’. ‘<th>’.‘Price’.‘</td></tr>’;
do {

echo ‘<tr><td>’.‘<input type=“text” id=“qnt” name=“qnt” size=“2” value = ‘.“$row_Recordset2[qnt]”.’>’. ‘</td>’;
echo ‘<td>’.“$row_Recordset2[type]”.‘</td>’;
echo ‘<td>’.“$row_Recordset2[mfg]”.’ </td>‘;
echo ‘<td>’.“$row_Recordset2[model]”.’</td>‘;
echo ‘<td>’.“$row_Recordset2[model_num]”.’</td>‘;
echo ‘<td>’.“$row_Recordset2[descrip]”.’</td>‘;
echo ‘<td>’.“$row_Recordset2[price]”.’</td>';

echo ‘</tr>’;

}
while($row_Recordset2 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset2));

echo ‘</table>’;
echo $cust;
echo $qnt;
echo $_SESSION[‘type’];

?>
</body>
</html>
<?php
$row_Recordset1 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset1);
/mysql_free_result($Recordset2);
mysql_free_result($Recordset3);
mysql_free_result($Recordset1);
/
?>

k, so here’s why it doesnt work.
echo ‘<td>’.‘<input type=“text” id=“type” name=“type” size=“20” readonly=“readonly” value = ‘.“$row_Recordset22[type]”.’ >’.‘</td>’;

This field has name “type”.
When the loop executes again, it creates another field.
With name “type”.
Which… will overwrite the last one.

So we need to tweak your form a bit to be able to handle multiple entries.

What is the unique identifier for an item in your table? model_num?

Wow…good eye. (I actually suffered from using ‘desc’ as a column in a table once)

I have an ID field called ‘id’ which is the primary.

Gary

mkay.

I’m going to take a time out here and say this;
We can make this work with what you’ve got. It’ll take a bit of complex form creation, but it can be done.
I personally would recommend that you take the time to pause working on this form and head to the mySQL/databases forum with your schema; your database design is screaming ‘Normalize Me!’ to me.

Normalizing the database will make trying to do these inserts a LOT simpler.

I read some articles on normalization, and on the face of it it would seem this suffers, however I have sep tables for much of the information (company, products etc). In this case I used a separate query instead of a join to insert the company name.

The issue seems to be boiling down to the POST in that I can only get the last record. I have tried to insert and store in an array, but the same result of only the last result of the do while loop. I renamed “type” to “ptype” but that did not offer any different result.

This can’t be that unique of an application, but it still is eluding me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Gary

Your database screams normalize me because you’re trying to insert product information into an order query; this would be redundant. The only thing an order needs to know is what was ordered (Your product’s unique ID), how much was ordered, and by whom (a customer unique ID, presumably).

What you’re wanting to do is not so unique, no, but the only piece of information you should need to send via post is qty, attached to a key (the product’s ID)
<input type=‘text’ name=“qty[<productid>]”>

and then in the form-catcher…

//Assumes $cust predefined (Session Value?)
$query_Recordset3 = "INSERT INTO temporder ( cust, qnt, prod_id) VALUES ";
foreach($_POST['qty'] AS $id => $qty) {
 //Sanitize both $id and $qty here     
      $query_Recordset3 .= "('".$cust."','".$qty."','".$id."'),"; 
}

Incidentally, see how much cleaner that query looks when normalized?

Thanks again, however no luck. At this point I am getting a warning and error

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\xampp\htdocs\szabo\szabo-confirmation.php on line 93
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘’ at line 1

:: Line 93 foreach($_POST[‘qnt’] AS $id => $qnt) {

I have added a prod_id column and <input>, works fine Each product has a unique id. Have varied your example numerous ways to use the prod_id instead of the qnt, at one point I was able to insert the last $_post.

I appreciate your time and don’t really expect you to write my code for me, the why this is not working is baffling.

Below is the code for the two pages, maybe something will jump out.

Input page

<?php session_start();?>
<?php require_once('Connections/szabo.php'); ?>
<?php require_once( "WA_SecurityAssist/Helper_PHP.php" ); ?>
<?php error_reporting(0);?>
<?php
if (!WA_Auth_RulePasses("Logged in to company")){
	WA_Auth_RestrictAccess("company_LogIn.php");
}

function GetSQLValueString($theValue, $theType, $theDefinedValue = "", $theNotDefinedValue = "") 
{
  $theValue = post_magic_quotes_gpc() ? stripslashes($theValue) : $theValue;

$theValue = function_exists("mysql_real_escape_string") ? mysql_real_escape_string($theValue) : mysql_escape_string($theValue);

switch ($theType) {
    case "text":
      break;    
    case "long":
    case "int":
      break;
    case "double":
      break;
    case "date":
      break;
    case "defined":
      break;
  }
  return $theValue;
}
}

$query_Recordset11 = "SELECT company.id, company.name FROM company WHERE id =$_SESSION[id]";
$Recordset11 = mysql_query($query_Recordset11, $szabo) or die(mysql_error());
$row_Recordset11 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset11);
$totalRows_Recordset11 = mysql_num_rows($Recordset11);

$cust = $row_Recordset11 ['name'];
$cust=str_replace(' ', '', $cust);
$cust = strtolower($cust);
$query_Recordset22 = "SELECT * FROM $cust WHERE  model  IS NOT NULL";
$Recordset22 = mysql_query($query_Recordset22, $szabo) or die(mysql_error());
$row_Recordset22 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset22);
$totalRows_Recordset22 = mysql_num_rows($Recordset22);

$query_Recordset222 = "SELECT * FROM $cust WHERE  model  IS NOT NULL";
$Recordset222 = mysql_query($query_Recordset222, $szabo) or die(mysql_error());
$row_Recordset222 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset222);
$totalRows_Recordset222 = mysql_num_rows($Recordset222);
?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<head>
<style type="text/css">

body	{
	}
h1, h2, h3, h4,h5	{
	}
th	{
	width:80px;}
#orderform	{
	width:800px;
	margin:0px auto;}
.center	{
	}
</style>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
function MM_jumpMenu(targ,selObj,restore){ //v3.0
  eval(targ+".location='"+selObj.options[selObj.selectedIndex].value+"'");
  if (restore) selObj.selectedIndex=0;
}
//-->
</script>
</head>

<body>

<?php
$_SESSION['ptype']= $row_Recordset22['ptype'];

?>

<div id="orderform">
<h2><?php echo $row_Recordset11['name']; ?>  Order Form</h2>

<table>
<th>Quantity</th><th>Product Id</th><th>Type</th><th>Manufacturer</th><th>Model</th> <th>Model Number</th> <th>Description</th><th>Price</th></tr>
<?php 

do{

?>
<form action="szabo-confirmation.php" method="post" name="result" id="result">
<tr><td><select name ="qnt" id="qnt" ><option value="0">0</option><option value="1">1</option><option value="2">2</option><option value="3">3</option><option value="4">4</option><option value="5">5</option><option value="6">6</option><option value="7">7</option><option value="8">8</option><option value="9">9</option><option value="10">10</option></select></td>
<td><input type="text" id="prod_id" name="prod_id" size="4"  readonly="readonly" value = "<?php echo $row_Recordset22[prod_id] ?>"></td>
<td><input type="text" id="ptype" name="ptype" size="10"  readonly="readonly" value = "<?php echo $row_Recordset22[ptype] ?>"></td>
<td><input type="text" id="mfg" name ="mfg" size="10"  readonly="readonly" value = "<?php echo $row_Recordset22[mfg] ?>"></td>
<td><input type="text" id="model" name="model"  size="20"  readonly="readonly" value = "<?php echo $row_Recordset22[model] ?>"></td>
<td><input type="text" id="model_num" name="model_num" size="20"  readonly="readonly" value ="<?php echo $row_Recordset22[model_num] ?>"></td>
<td><input type="text" id="descrip" size="20" name="descrip"  readonly="readonly" value ="<?php echo $row_Recordset22[descrip] ?>"></td>
<td><input type="text" id="msrp" name="msrp" size="10"  readonly="readonly" value ="<?php echo $row_Recordset22[msrp] ?>"></td>

</tr>

<?php }

while($row_Recordset22 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset22));
?>
</table>

<input name="submit" type="submit" name="temporsub" value="Submit for Confirmation" />

</form>

<?php 

/*$_SESSION['$row22']=mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset22);*/
?>
<?php 
$myArr = array();

if(mysql_num_rows($Recordset222) > 0)//if it finds any row
{
   while($result = mysql_fetch_array($Recordset222))
   {
      //adding data to the array
      $myArr[] = $result->$Recordset222['qnt'];
   }
}
/*print_r ($myArr);*/
?>
</div>

</body>
</html>
<?php
mysql_free_result($Recordset11);

mysql_free_result($Recordset22);
?>

Result Page (confirmation)

<?php session_start();?>
<?php require_once('Connections/szabo.php'); ?>
<?php error_reporting(0);?>
<?php
{

switch ($theType) {
    case "text":
      break;    
    case "long":
    case "int":
      break;
    case "double":
      break;
    case "date":
      break;
    case "defined":
      break;
  }
  return $theValue;
}
}
?>
<head>
<style type="text/css">

body	{
	}
h1, h2, h3, h4,h5	{
	}
td	{
	text-align:center;}
.center	{
	}
</style>
</head>

<body>
<?php 

@$qnt = $_POST['qnt'];
@$qnta = array($_POST['qnt']);
array_push($qnta, "$qnt");
@$ptype = $_POST['ptype'];
@$mfg = $_POST['mfg'];
@$model = $_POST['model'];
@$model_num = $_POST['model_num'];
@$descrip = $_POST['descrip'];
@$msrp = $_POST['msrp'];
@$price = $qnt * $msrp;
@$po=$_POST['po'];
$prod_id=$_POST['prod_id'];
?>
<?php 
$qry=mysql_query(  "CREATE   TABLE temporder LIKE orders ");

$query_Recordset1 = "SELECT company.name, company.store_num  FROM company WHERE  company.id =$_SESSION[id]";
$Recordset1 = mysql_query($query_Recordset1, $szabo) or die(mysql_error());

$totalRows_Recordset1 = mysql_num_rows($Recordset1);

@$cust = "$row_Recordset1[name]";
@$store_num = "$row_Recordset1[store_num]";

///////////////////////////////////From Forum////////////////////////////////////////////

//Assumes $cust predefined (Session Value?)
foreach($_POST['qnt'] AS $id => $qnt) {
      $query_Recordset3 .= "('".$cust."','".$id."','".$prod_id."'),"; 
}

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

@$row_Recordset3 = mysql_fetch_array($Recordset3);
@$totalRows_Recordset3 = mysql_num_rows($Recordset3);

$query_Recordset2 = "SELECT * FROM temporder WHERE qnt >='1'";
$Recordset2 = mysql_query($query_Recordset2, $szabo) or die(mysql_error());
$row_Recordset2 = mysql_fetch_array($Recordset2);

echo '<table cellspacing ="6" align="center">';
echo '<tr><th>'.'Quantity'.'</td>'.  '<th>'.'Type'.'</td>'.  '<th>'.'Manufacturer'.'</td>'.  '<th>'.'Model'.'</td>'.  '<th>'.'Model Number'.'</td>'.  '<th>'.'Description'.'</td>'. '<th>'.'Price'.'</td></tr>';
do	{

echo '<tr><td>'.'<input type="text" id="qnt" name="qnt" size="2" value = '."$row_Recordset2[qnt]".'>'. '</td>';
echo '<td>'."$row_Recordset2[ptype]".'</td>';
echo '<td>'."$row_Recordset2[mfg]".' </td>';
echo '<td>'."$row_Recordset2[model]".'</td>';
echo '<td>'."$row_Recordset2[model_num]".'</td>';
echo '<td>'."$row_Recordset2[descrip]".'</td>';
echo '<td>'."$row_Recordset2[price]".'</td>';

echo '</tr>';
$row_Recordset2 = mysql_fetch_array($Recordset2);
}
while($row_Recordset2 = mysql_fetch_array($Recordset2));

echo '</table>';

?>
</body>
</html>
<?php
/*$row_Recordset1 = mysql_fetch_array($Recordset1);*/

?>

Thanks again

Gary

You havent keyed your form fields as an array.

<select name ="qnt" id="qnt" >

<select name ="qnt[<?php echo $row_Recordset22['prod_id'] ?>]" id="qnt" >

this will result in field names with array keys…
IE:
qnt[1]
qnt[5]
qnt[10]

Which will be passed to PHP as $_POST[‘qnt’], an array of size 3, containing the key-value pairs {1 => somevalue,5 => somevalue,10 => somevalue}

Thank you, with your kind help it is almost working. I may have muddied the waters a bit when I added the prod_id as the key. The qnt is now inserting as I want, the prod_id is not. Here is what I have;

<tr><td><select name ="qnt[<?php echo $row_Recordset22['qnt'] ?>]" id="qnt" >

<td><input type="text" id="prod_id" name="prod_id[<?php echo $row_Recordset22['prod_id'] ?>]" size="4"  readonly="readonly" value = "<?php echo $row_Recordset22['prod_id'] ?>"></td>

What is working is this

$query_Recordset3 .= "('".$cust."','".$qnt."','".$prod_id."'),";
}

However when I tried a 2nd foreach() on an update, I am getting a “columns dont match” error.

$query_Recordset3 .= "('".$cust."','".$qnt."'),";
}

$query_Recordset4 = "UPDATE temporder SET prod_id";
foreach($_POST['prod_id'] AS $pid => $prod_id) {
      $query_Recordset4 .= "('".$prod_id."'),";
}
$query_Recordset4 = substr($query_Recordset4,0,-1); // get rid of trailing comma, since we cant use implode
$Recordset4 = mysql_query($query_Recordset4, $szabo) or die(mysql_error());

Thanks so much for your patience and help. Hopefully it will finally be solved.

Gary