Looping through results of complex query

Hello,
I have a postgresql join query that returns all the correct values on command line but when I try to loop through the results in a view, I can’t access all the fields.

Specifically, I’m trying to display the fields in the rations table and can’t seem to print them out to save my life.

Here’s the query:

@herd_rations_during_season = HerdRation.find(:all, 
        :joins => ["INNER JOIN seasons ON seasons.herd_id = herd_rations.herd_id AND seasons.season_start_date >= herd_rations.grazing_begun AND herd_rations.grazing_end <= seasons.season_end_date INNER JOIN rations ON rations.id = herd_rations.ration_id"],
          :select=>'DISTINCT ON (herd_rations.id) herd_rations.id, herd_rations.grazing_begun, herd_rations.grazing_end, seasons.season_name, seasons.season_start_date, seasons.season_end_date, rations.ration_name', 
          :conditions => ["herd_rations.herd_id=?", params[:id]])

@herd_rations_during_season.each do |herd_ration|
	puts("----herd_ration: #{herd_ration.ration}")         	#prints nil
	puts("----grazing_begun: #{herd_ration.grazing_begun}")	#good
	puts("---- grazing_end: #{herd_ration.grazing_end}")  	#good
end

Thanks for any help!

You do not seem to be selecting that column (:select=>…). You can’t print columns you don’t ask the database for.

I am referencing a rations field in the select statement here:

rations.ration_name

solved the problem and feel a bit stupid but, at the same time not.

I accessed ration.ration_name by simply doing this in my loop:

herd_ration.ration_name 

The part I’m not understanding, is that when I used inspect in the loop, it did not display any reference to to ration.ration_name:

@herd_rations_during_season.each do |herd_ration|
	puts("----herd_ration: #{herd_ration.inspect}")   #doesn't display ration_name anywhere
end

thanks for all reply and great weekend to all!