Losing an hour formatting a MySQL time

Very confusing thing for me. I am retrieving a time from MySQL and then converting it from 19:00:00 to 7:00 PM using this:

$start_time_db = $row['start_time'];
		$start_time = date("g:i A", $start_time_db);

I have confirmed that the value of $start_time_db is actually 19:00:00.

But when I display $start_time to my site it loses an hour and comes out as 6:00 PM instead of 7:00 PM. Any explanation on why and how to fix this?

$start_time_db = strtotime($row['start_time']);
$start_time = date("g:i A", $start_time_db); 

btw, You can add or subtract minutes, hours, days, months like this if need be.

$start_time_db = $row['start_time'];
$start_time = date('g:i A', strtotime($start_time_db . " + 1 hour"));

Thanks Gentlemen for your assist. That of course works. This has to be the best place on the internet for quick and accurate responses. You guys are the best. Thanks again!

Is there a particular reason why you are not extracting the time directly from the database in the format you want and are extracting in one format and then converting to another?

PHP time uses the server time offset including DST time modifications, MySQL’s time function does not.

Instead of directly modifying by a set amount you should be using DateTime’s get_offset function so that you don’t have to manually fix this twice every year.

There are a number of other issues related to this based on problems in mysql with how it stores timestamps that, as far as I’m aware, have not been fixed in most live development cases. You can read up on some of those here but since in your case it’s clearly just the DST offset I’d strongly recommend just doing what I mentioned above, especially over manually modifying the date with fixed numbers.

Clearly formatting during the SELECT would be more efficient. Not sure of how to do that in a SELECT clause like:

$query = "SELECT * FROM classes WHERE day_of_week = '$class_day' ORDER BY start_date ASC";

the values in the Table that I am extracting are start_time, start_date ,end_date, and a few others values like instructor, class name, location, etc.

Thanks Belsnickle - That was what was confusing me - DST. Of course.

Thanks again.

You do that using the mySQL DATE_FORMAT() function within the call i place of the field name you are returning (where you currently have the *.

Thanks. I’ll rewrite that piece of code to incorporate this function. Thanks Again.