Lots of information

Hi everyone!
Its been a while since I posted on here but I am in need of your help.

I have a large amount of information which tells our users what services we have available i.e. “Which service do you need?”

Within this section just now there are headings and then sub headings below this.

Im looking for good examples which are online for design ideas on how to make this as user friendly as possible but also get as much information over to the users as well.

Any questions, give me a shout as I am sure I havent explained myself very well.

O.

Thanks Ralph.
Im looking for something eye catching but at the same time usable by all.

Javascript isnt an option as it is disabled within our intranet.

Im currently thinking along the lines of : University of St Andrews - Scotland’s first university, founded 1413 , have an image, show maybe the top 6 topics or subjects and then further in to the page you have more options. The risk here though is that people dont see the information they want on the front page and so think there isnt anything for them.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

One option is to hide most of the content with JavaScript, with just the main headings showing, allowing users to see just the info they are interested in (by clicking the heading). (If you take this route, however, make sure that the page works with JS off.)

Mind you, I’m not a big fan of JS. Perhaps a better option is to divide the info ver multiple pages?

Or at least have an index at the top of the page (as on WikiPedia). That way, people can choose a topic from the menu, then jump back to the menu (via a “back to top” or “back to menu” link).

Does anyone have any good examples of task-based websites?

A lot of the information I am trying to sort out is to do with tasks the users will be doing, i.e. order a new laptop, download a form, request a new seat etc.

O.