Mac issues with PHP and MySQL

hello sitepointers! i’m taking a server side scripting class and using the book “build your own database website using…” my issue is i’m unable to correctly install or make mySQL and Apache work. i’m totally new to this, i have only worked with CSS and HTML before so i need some really dumbed-down answers. I would greatly appreciate if you guys could help me address some issues.

When i install MySQL, i’m unable to open it. It simply won’t!

When i try connecting MySQL (which appears to be installed correctly even though I’m unable to open it) to PHP, i keep getting weird error messages in terminal.

By the way I installed Mamp a few days ago and forgot what the purpose was… like i said I’m very ignorant of these fancy computer things. I’m running osx lion btw… i can post screen shots if someone replies or is willing to help me. :slight_smile: very much appreciated.

Hi staralfur. Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

MAMP is a simple alternative to installing PHP, MySQL and Apache separately. It’s like an all-in-one box that automatically installs PHP, MySQL and Apache. It’s a much simpler way to get started with that book than installing those programs separately, but you don’t learn as much about them. In my view, you are better off using MAMP to start with. :slight_smile:

thanks! :slight_smile: whenever i tried installing PHP, Apache and Mysql separately, i kept getting errors.